Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #471
BigChzy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
It's totally normal
Glad to hear it. I got a bit distracted and let my pressure canner sit for longer than it needed too (like a couple hours longer) when the pressure was coming down before I taped up the slants. Was worried something had creeped in there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #472
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChzy View Post
Glad to hear it. I got a bit distracted and let my pressure canner sit for longer than it needed too (like a couple hours longer) when the pressure was coming down before I taped up the slants. Was worried something had creeped in there.
There's no way anything can. It's a closed system that was previously inundated with 250F heat and was rendered sterile, not just sanitary.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #473
NaymzJaymz
Recipes 

In section #5, when you mention dipping the paper clip into the yeast, you don't mean dip the paper clip back into the yeast each time you submerge it in the slant, right? You just dip it in the yeast once and then into the slant 4 to 5 times. How does it stay sterile exposed to air during the incubation period?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #474
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaymzJaymz View Post
In section #5, when you mention dipping the paper clip into the yeast, you don't mean dip the paper clip back into the yeast each time you submerge it in the slant, right?
Nope, that's exactly what I do.

Quote:
You just dip it in the yeast once and then into the slant 4 to 5 times.
The first time you dip it in, there are very few yeast cells left on the paper clip.

Quote:
How does it stay sterile exposed to air during the incubation period?
RDWHAHB

Old 08-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #475
NaymzJaymz
Recipes 

Are there any "cheats" for those of us without a pressure cooker? How about a large enamel pot commonly referred to as a "canner". Could I put the vial filled beakers in the canner, filled with appropriate water, and them bake the canner in the oven to get the right temperature? Or would it work on the stove top. Would the plastic lids melt? Thank you.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #476
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Are there any "cheats" for those of us without a pressure cooker? How about a large enamel pot commonly referred to as a "canner". Could I put the vial filled beakers in the canner, filled with appropriate water, and them bake the canner in the oven to get the right temperature? Or would it work on the stove top. Would the plastic lids melt? Thank you.
You need pressure to achive the heat necessary for sterilization. Otherwise you may get unwelcome critters in your slants.

Dry heat sterilization is possible but takes way longer and at higher temps. Not sure autoclavable plastics could handle it.

You can find decent deals on pressure cookers on Amazon.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #477
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

@ NaymzJaymz you can try this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndallization

But as it's been said, pc are way way better So get yourself a decent pressure cooker/canner-less critters & problems

Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #478
NaymzJaymz
Recipes 

While at the homebrewing store today I noticed they had a large variety of liquid yeasts that were "past their prime" at discounted prices. Would these yeasts be good for slanting? Would the process outlined in this thread produce a strong yeast, even though it was started with a yeast that was past it's prime?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #479
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaymzJaymz
While at the homebrewing store today I noticed they had a large variety of liquid yeasts that were "past their prime" at discounted prices. Would these yeasts be good for slanting? Would the process outlined in this thread produce a strong yeast, even though it was started with a yeast that was past it's prime?
Make a starter and you should be fine. I buy this yeast all the time with no problems.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #480
AlphaWolf-Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
If you are going to make slants with them you will be fine, they probably just dont have enough cells for a healthy ferment on their own without a starter. But you will make a starter from your slant so you will be fine. I always go through the past there prime yeast to make slants from and they have all worked fine for me.

My EBiab system -http://alphawolfbrewery.blogspot.com...irst-post.html

Quick Reply