Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #461
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

There's now a solid 2" of krausen on the starter. I can't even see the vortex from the stirplate. I'm brewing right now and I started a 90 minute hopstand about 10 minutes ago. In about two hours this thing gets pitched - I may need a blowoff tube. This should be one violent fermentation. I'm glad I'm fermenting this batch in a glass carboy.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #462
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 55

This might have been covered, but how are guys getting slants without hot break? I am using the recipe with 1.5x agar 7x DME 1x Wyeast Nutrient per 100ml water.

Also, my slants have condensation from cooling. There is enough to kind of make drops on top of the media. The media is solid but way juicy. Is this a problem?

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #463
thatjonguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjonguy View Post
This might have been covered, but how are guys getting slants without hot break? I am using the recipe with 1.5x agar 7x DME 1x Wyeast Nutrient per 100ml water.

Also, my slants have condensation from cooling. There is enough to kind of make drops on top of the media. The media is solid but way juicy. Is this a problem?
Anybody?

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #464
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You're getting hot break in your agar? I got hot break when I made the wort that I used with the agar to make the slants but none that I can see when I sterilized the slants themselves.

I got that condensation as well. When I inoculated the slants the liquid ran down the sides so that yeast got below the mass of agar. The CO2 generated there pushed the agar plug up (and ultimately out) of the vial. I opened the caps of all of the vials a bit and left them at room temperature for 5 days to dry out. That seems to ahve helped and I will do it from now on as standard practice. Two "samplings" later and I have not experienced that same issue again.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #465
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjonguy View Post

Lower your quantity of agar. If you're using agar powder, reduce it to 0.5-1.0x and see what your results are. It'll still set up just fine, but allow you a little more time to work with it before it starts setting up. Also, you'll still have hot break no matter what you do, but it does not have any negative impact on yeast viability, stability, and storage time. It's minimal at most compared to the amount seen with an all-grain starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
You're getting hot break in your agar? I got hot break when I made the wort that I used with the agar to make the slants but none that I can see when I sterilized the slants themselves.

I got that condensation as well. When I inoculated the slants the liquid ran down the sides so that yeast got below the mass of agar. The CO2 generated there pushed the agar plug up (and ultimately out) of the vial. I opened the caps of all of the vials a bit and left them at room temperature for 5 days to dry out. That seems to ahve helped and I will do it from now on as standard practice. Two "samplings" later and I have not experienced that same issue again.
To reduce the chance of "blowouts" make sure to use just enough to cover the entire slant tube from the top edge of the start of the neck-threads to the just below the opposite bottom corner. This will ensure that there is no way CO2 can form entirely below the agar gel and force a "blowout" when you then remove the cap and release the pressure. One way I've found to work great is to buy a cheap 2 tbsp. (30 ml) veterinarian/pediatric liquid medicine syringe or a 2 tbsp (30 ml) turkey injector and use it to accurately draw up the exact same amount I need for each vial and dispense that way before putting them into the pressure cooker. Trial and error with water will tell you how much to use and once you find that amount just mark it with a sharpie. For the popular 6 dram (23 ml) flat bottom vials that a lot of people use, that sweet-spot quantity is about 12 ml.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #466
thatjonguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This look fine to you guys? I got my hands on some Heady so I don't want to blow my chances on culturing this yeast.

The agar set up in a manner than I seem to remember from high school biology so I think I am fine there (using powder) but I might change it up anyway in the name of science.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #467
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After reading all 47 pages across 2 days, I'm gonna try to liven the Brett talk back up. What I gathered until now regarding Brett slanting is this:

1. Brett prefer pure glucose than other sugars. Anyone tried adding grape sugar (aka dextrose, aka glucose) to their medium recipe? How much?
2. Brett take longer time to propagate. Anyone slanted Brett and can confirm this? Did you let the Brett incubate for a longer time before closing the slants for storage? How long?
3. Brett survive storage time better in room temp then in fridge temp. Can anyone confirm? Did you make wake Brett from fridge successfully?
4. Waking the Brett: Did you step up any differently then Sacch?

If anyone has anything to add, I would be forever in your debt (and my to-be Brett colonies would be as well). This thread has a lot of info about slanting Sacch in general, but very little about Brett. I'd like to change that..

Fermenting: Contest Falconer's Flight IPA, Contest Brown Porter.

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Stout, Plum Belgian Ale, Single Hop Simcoe IPA, Calvados-Oak Aged IPA, El-Dorado & Calypso DIPA, Pitango Melomel.

Next Up: Blood Orange Summer Wheat.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #468
BigChzy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Made my first batch of slants on Saturday. They set faster than I was expecting, I think I'll use less agar next time. One thing I'm concerned about though is that there is some sediment in the bottom of nearly every vial. Is this normal or did they pick up some kind of infection before they set?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #469
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I had sediment in the bottom of all of mine as well. I think it is un-dissolved yeast nutrient.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #470
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChzy View Post
Made my first batch of slants on Saturday. They set faster than I was expecting, I think I'll use less agar next time. One thing I'm concerned about though is that there is some sediment in the bottom of nearly every vial. Is this normal or did they pick up some kind of infection before they set?
It's totally normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I had sediment in the bottom of all of mine as well. I think it is un-dissolved yeast nutrient.
It's not yeast nutrient. It's actually trub because even LME and DME produce hot break proteins that fall out of suspension. Yeast nutrient is nothing more than basic vitamin salts, i.e. stuff that dissolves rapidly in boiling water.

Keep up the good work guys and enjoy slanting. It's not in your average homebrewer's bag of tricks.

Quick Reply