Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #451
KevinDee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Let's say your slant is Batch No. XXX.1, you would make fresh slants from the yeast in your second to last slant from that batch series. Just flame your loop, dip into the yeast in your slant, and rub some of that in a fresh sterile slant, repeat for as many new slants as you would like to create. Then when you're done, use the "mother" slant to make a starter for your next batch. The reason you use the second to last and not the last slant is in case one of those final two is infected. You at least have two to take a peek at and see which is more viable to act as the "mother" slant. The newly created slants are now considered Batch No. XXX.2 and have undergone very little, if any, mutation from the "mother" slant from Batch No. XXX.1.
awesome! thanks for the info. is there a maximum amount of times you can re-slant like this? Will the yeast eventually get to a point where it is too mutated from the original strain to use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #452
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yes, but there is no definite generation that you can say it will go bad. You can't say "oh that's 1187 Ringwood, only lasts 4 generations before it goes bad."

It is a matter of sanitation, yeast health, and proper storage. If you do all well, you can keep a yeast going, well I won't say indefinetly, but a very long time. I believe some have gone dozens of generations (and are still going). There are threads out there...

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #453
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
My recipe for slant media is:

1.5% agar powder
7% DME
1% Wyeast yeast nutrient

That is by weight so if you have, say, 500mL of water you will add 7.5 grams of agar and 35 grams of DME along with 5 grams of the nutrient.

The agar powder def. works better than the stuff I got at the grocery store, which after a few months in the fridge started falling apart.
I made my agar by this recipe and it set up well (it actually set up in less than 1/2 hour, even before I sterilized it). I inoculated a plate with Bell's yeast 4 days ago but so far there is absolutely no sign of growth. It is stored in the dark at around 75 degrees. I'm thinking that I did something wrong when measuring out the ingredients for the Agar and it is too dry.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #454
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I sacrificed a plate to test the agar and it is plenty "juicy". Has a wet texture to it. I guess i'll just give it more time.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #455
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I sacrificed a plate to test the agar and it is plenty "juicy". Has a wet texture to it. I guess i'll just give it more time.
My plates and slants setup within a few hours. If yours is still wet & juicy one of two things likely happened. A) You didn't use enough agar B) the agar didn't fully 'bloom'/disolve with the wort. I had that happen on my first slants, where when dumping the last bit I noticed there was a mass of thick gel on the bottom where most of the agar had ended up.

These days I let the agar bloom in the wort for 15-20min before heating it up initally and never seem to have issues.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #456
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I made 12 slants yesterday and I just checked them. There is about a 1/4" of gelatinized wort at the bottom. The remainder is all liquid. Any idea what I might have done wrong? Not enough agar agar?

I only ordered 12 vials (more on the way) so I cut the recipe in half. 200ml water, 20g DME and 1.2g agar agar.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #457
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
I made 12 slants yesterday and I just checked them. There is about a 1/4" of gelatinized wort at the bottom. The remainder is all liquid. Any idea what I might have done wrong? Not enough agar agar?

I only ordered 12 vials (more on the way) so I cut the recipe in half. 200ml water, 20g DME and 1.2g agar agar.
Post above you should help you

Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #458
LovesIPA
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeman9988 View Post
Post above you should help you
Thanks. Reading is hard.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #459
LovesIPA
Recipes 

Attached are two pictures of the first starter that I made using a yeast slant. I've made roughly a dozen starters in the past, often right from a White Labs vial. I've heard people talk about pitching starters at high krausen but I've never actually had a lot of krausen on a starter. A few bubbles, maybe some traces of foam but that's it. I use fermcap so I figured that must be it.

NEVER have I seen this much krausen on a starter before. If you're even thinking about making yeast slanting next on your homebrewing adventures, I highly recommend it.

The first picture is yesterday, about 5 hours after I pitched the yeast from the 250ml starter into the 1.1L starter. The second picture is when I got up this morning.

img_1199.jpg   img_1201.jpg  

jnr1005 Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #460
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I mash all my starters and have to deal with krausen most of time.. blessed anti-foam

Anyone slanted 2 yrs old yeast?
I got 3 WLP vials to isolate @least single colony.. wlp001/004/300. Suppose that wlp300 could be the trouble one.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Quick Reply