Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #441
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There is some growth at this moment, I hope I'll be able to select few healthy colonies until Sunday.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #442
wanshang
Recipes 

Well I transfered this yesterday because I wanted the yeast to pitch into a new batch2.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #443
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Subbed

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #444
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
I want to toss out there I do the oil immersion technique in YEAST now (started a couple weeks ago). I emailed white labs about it. I asked if the mineral oil used for butcher blocks was fine. And for the heck of it I inquired if 100% olive oil was ok. They never heard of using olive oil so did not recommend it. As far as the mineral oil, they just said mineral oil without being specific about 99.9% or 100%. I couldn't find any 100% mineral oil, but did find some 99.9% mineral oil for consumption (for constipation or something or other) at a rite aid or walgreens. The other .1% is vitamin E. They recommend it be sterilized before use, of course.
I am just in the stage of accumulating equipment to start making slants but I have been contemplating adding mineral oil to extend the "shelf life" of the slants. One thing I have been wondering about is sterilizing the tool (dropper, pipette, etc.) that you use to add the mineral oil. Probably over-thinking things but how do you manage this?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #445
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post

I am just in the stage of accumulating equipment to start making slants but I have been contemplating adding mineral oil to extend the "shelf life" of the slants. One thing I have been wondering about is sterilizing the tool (dropper, pipette, etc.) that you use to add the mineral oil. Probably over-thinking things but how do you manage this?
I believe the pipette is auto clabeable so you can pressure cook it. Boil it. Star San it during use. Little fire thing to kill more things. Endless possibilities.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #446
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Nice Thread

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #447
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I don't have an autoclavable pipette/syringe/dropper. I've done it a couple of ways. I was using an oral medicine syringe (good for loading up a several loads of oil at one time - I used around 2-3 ml oil per vial). Cleaned, and then starsanned. I also used a spoon, which you can put in the oven or even flame it, but isn't practical to pour in the opening of the vial. Can make a bit of a mess, but does work. And you have to go back to the primary oil jar multiple times.

I am actually looking into getting something I can boil. Autoclaving take as a long time, with the cooldown. Maybe something like this pipet with pump

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #448
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I like the idea of something "flameable". I might borrow a spoon and bend it into something that is better suited to pouring into the vials. I had that same pipet in my cart at Cynmar but it didn't occur to me to boil it. Maybe a stainless tube that can be used like a pipet. Could flame that (but would the interior get hot enough)? I think I might start without the oil

Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #449
KevinDee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

very glad that I came across this thread. i have been wanting to culture yeast somehow so I dont have to keep buying fresh yeast for every brew and this seems like the best method. but I do have a question. Say i make 5 slants from one fresh yeast culture. If I want healthy first generation yeast for ever brew will i have to buy fresh yeast after these slants are used up? Or once i make a starter from one of these slants can I then use that starter to inoculate 5 more slants? and essentially never run out of this yeast strain? Or would a slant made from this starter not be considered a first generation yeast?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #450
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDee View Post
very glad that I came across this thread. i have been wanting to culture yeast somehow so I dont have to keep buying fresh yeast for every brew and this seems like the best method. but I do have a question. Say i make 5 slants from one fresh yeast culture. If I want healthy first generation yeast for ever brew will i have to buy fresh yeast after these slants are used up? Or once i make a starter from one of these slants can I then use that starter to inoculate 5 more slants? and essentially never run out of this yeast strain? Or would a slant made from this starter not be considered a first generation yeast?
Let's say your slant is Batch No. XXX.1, you would make fresh slants from the yeast in your second to last slant from that batch series. Just flame your loop, dip into the yeast in your slant, and rub some of that in a fresh sterile slant, repeat for as many new slants as you would like to create. Then when you're done, use the "mother" slant to make a starter for your next batch. The reason you use the second to last and not the last slant is in case one of those final two is infected. You at least have two to take a peek at and see which is more viable to act as the "mother" slant. The newly created slants are now considered Batch No. XXX.2 and have undergone very little, if any, mutation from the "mother" slant from Batch No. XXX.1.

Quick Reply