Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Bravo!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #412
PtreeCreekBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm sure that this has probably been answered somewhere in the 40+ pages of this thread, but as my time on hand isn't infinite, I didn't read through the whole thing, and for that, I apologize.

What gravities are used for the starting worts in scaling up these slants?

Typically, I make starters based upon the gravity and temperature of the wort that I'll be pitching to, but it seems counter intuitive to put this small amount of yeast into a starter at 1.080 or something.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #413
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Building up these slants, which may have sat for months and months, and as well for reviving/harvesting from commercial bottles, you'd ideally go lower to around 1.020 for initial buildup.

The idea is lighter wort is easier on the yeast, but you get less growth. High gravity wort will produce more yeast, but is more stressful on the yeast. In the end, it is better to have less healthy yeast then more unhealthy yeast.

So in an ideal world you'd start with 1.020 for the first buildup, then move to a regular 1.030-1.040 wort until you have enough pitchable yeast. Practically though, I don't want to make a bunch of different starter wort of different gravities so I use 1.030 for everything. Never had a problem propegation from a slant, or a bottle for that matter.

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #414
BullGator
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the pages after this post but I haven't gotten through all the posts yet. I mixed per the proportions above but my slants haven't set enough after 36 hours. My agar is from Now Nutrition and says 100% agar.

I boiled my DME and yeast nutrient for around 1 minute. Let cool for a few minutes then dumped in the agar powder and stirred. Then used a syringe to measure out for my vials. I pressure cooked as instructed, let cool 1 hour, tightened caps and taped (I am not looking forward to ripping tape off and retaping 36 vials! ).

The only thing I am suspicious of is my yeast nutrient. I used Fermax yeast nutrient. After boiling my wort, I got a strong ammonia smell. Perhaps Fermax is not the same concentration as the wyeast nutrient?

Edit: finally finished reading through all the pages. There appears to be a difference in the agar. Obviously the block stuff mentioned in the OP but also some flaked agar and even 2 different powder versions (a medical and the nutritional kind like I used). I also read something about getting the agar mix up to boiling temps to avoid separation while filling your vials. I did only check one vial so maybe others are more solid than the one I checked. So any input would be appreciated.

Regardless, I am curious about the Fermax issue I mentioned though.
Anybody?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #415
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the pages after this post but I haven't gotten through all the posts yet. I mixed per the proportions above but my slants haven't set enough after 36 hours. My agar is from Now Nutrition and says 100% agar.

I boiled my DME and yeast nutrient for around 1 minute. Let cool for a few minutes then dumped in the agar powder and stirred. Then used a syringe to measure out for my vials. I pressure cooked as instructed, let cool 1 hour, tightened caps and taped (I am not looking forward to ripping tape off and retaping 36 vials! ).

The only thing I am suspicious of is my yeast nutrient. I used Fermax yeast nutrient. After boiling my wort, I got a strong ammonia smell. Perhaps Fermax is not the same concentration as the wyeast nutrient?

Edit: finally finished reading through all the pages. There appears to be a difference in the agar. Obviously the block stuff mentioned in the OP but also some flaked agar and even 2 different powder versions (a medical and the nutritional kind like I used). I also read something about getting the agar mix up to boiling temps to avoid separation while filling your vials. I did only check one vial so maybe others are more solid than the one I checked. So any input would be appreciated.

Regardless, I am curious about the Fermax issue I mentioned though.
I've had problems with agar before when I didn't heat it enough to fully mix it in. I was doing a batch of 24 vials at the time and what happened is most of the agar ended up almost as a jelly near the bottom. The first 16 or so slants never set and the remaining ones were rock solid. I ended up scraping the entire batch and starting over.

This is the Agar I use, http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-6410-Agar-Powder/dp/B000MGSJ5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360173191&sr=8-2&keywords=agar+agar It sets for me within a couple hours at most.

Now what I do is bring the water to lukewarm, add in the DME & agar and bring it up to about 190F and make sure it gets completely mixed. Sometimes I'll bring it to a boil, but most times I won't as it'll boil in the pressure cooker for 30min anyways. The only problem I run into is I end up with break material in the slants. I also do not use any yeast nutrient.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #416
BullGator

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post

I've had problems with agar before when I didn't heat it enough to fully mix it in. I was doing a batch of 24 vials at the time and what happened is most of the agar ended up almost as a jelly near the bottom. The first 16 or so slants never set and the remaining ones were rock solid. I ended up scraping the entire batch and starting over.

This is the Agar I use, http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-6410-Agar-Powder/dp/B000MGSJ5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360173191&sr=8-2&keywords=agar+agar It sets for me within a couple hours at most.

Now what I do is bring the water to lukewarm, add in the DME & agar and bring it up to about 190F and make sure it gets completely mixed. Sometimes I'll bring it to a boil, but most times I won't as it'll boil in the pressure cooker for 30min anyways. The only problem I run into is I end up with break material in the slants. I also do not use any yeast nutrient.
Thanks a lot for responding! That's the exact same agar I bought. Can you tell me your ratio of water, agar, and dme?

I actually brought the dme to a boil only for a couple of seconds (to avoid break material) and then let it sit for only a few minutes while I got the agar weighed out. It couldn't have been much below 190 or 180. I think I might be doing too many slants at once as it might be cooling too much. Or maybe I need to stir it every couple slants?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #417
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks a lot for responding! That's the exact same agar I bought. Can you tell me your ratio of water, agar, and dme?

I actually brought the dme to a boil only for a couple of seconds (to avoid break material) and then let it sit for only a few minutes while I got the agar weighed out. It couldn't have been much below 190 or 180. I think I might be doing too many slants at once as it might be cooling too much. Or maybe I need to stir it every couple slants?
I've always followed the ratio in the OP. 400ml water, 35g DME, 2.5g Agar. Today I went to make up some more plates, as I plan on trying to harvest from the can's of Heady Topper I just got my hands on. I've always been annoyed by the break material that ends up in my slants/plates so I decided to try something a bit different.

I took 400ml worth of sterile wort (extra runnings from prior batches that I collected in mason jars & then sterilized in my pressure cooker) and added 2.5g of Agar and some food coloring, let it bloom for 20 min and then brought it up to 180F. I then poured my plates and they're in the pressure cooker right now. We'll see if then end result is any better..

My only annoyance I'd love to solve, is the little bit of liquid the ends up in the bottom of the slants.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #418
BullGator

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post

I've always followed the ratio in the OP. 400ml water, 35g DME, 2.5g Agar. Today I went to make up some more plates, as I plan on trying to harvest from the can's of Heady Topper I just got my hands on. I've always been annoyed by the break material that ends up in my slants/plates so I decided to try something a bit different.

I took 400ml worth of sterile wort (extra runnings from prior batches that I collected in mason jars & then sterilized in my pressure cooker) and added 2.5g of Agar and some food coloring, let it bloom for 20 min and then brought it up to 180F. I then poured my plates and they're in the pressure cooker right now. We'll see if then end result is any better..

My only annoyance I'd love to solve, is the little bit of liquid the ends up in the bottom of the slants.
So I made some slants at my friends house Saturday. After pressure cooking and the slants were cooled, we opened the caps and set them upside down on a paper towel while waiting to inoculate. I asked if he was worried about about infecting his pressure cooked, 100% sterile slants with the paper towel, he said he's always done it this way. I have 24 slants with fuzzy yeast growing and only one is having moisture problems (slant material is pushing up). So one in 24 isn't bad.

I think my problem was I didn't boil the dme agar solution when I made them before. When we made them on Saturday, we boiled them for around 5 min.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #419
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
After pressure cooking and the slants were cooled, we opened the caps and set them upside down on a paper towel while waiting to inoculate. I asked if he was worried about about infecting his pressure cooked, 100% sterile slants with the paper towel, he said he's always done it this way.
I don't think I'd ever do that, unless I was under a laminar flow hood, and even then probably still not.

if they're within the updraft they're probably fine, but why take the chance?

I have plates of bottle harvested Pacman going, once those are done I'm going to attempt to plate out some Conan directly from a can of Heady Topper.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #420
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So I'm still curious how to know if my slants are good or have gone bad.. right now they kind of look like a white cream has been spread on them.. almost like icing on top of the agar. But a poster a few above here said his were fuzzy :-/

Quick Reply