Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #391
FredTheNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
I'm sure you already got this answered.. But maybe for future subscribers... Anything with a flat bottom will work. Beakers or mason jars can do starters, but I do. Prefer an Erlenmeyer flask.
1 gallon flat bottomed jugs would work great and they are cheaper than 4000ml erlenmeyer's. Finding them is a bit of a pain. I may have to buy a few from labelpeelers (4.47 each) and test them as the bottom seems fairly flat on them in the pictures.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #392
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

1 gallon jugs of Carlo rosse wine also work, they are 11 or 12 bucks but you do get some booze at least.

-Retired Homebrewer

Jonathanquist Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #393
05m50dan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the write-up! Was emailing links to my wife for months before Christmas to make sure she got me everything! Made my slants, couldn't get petri dishes, but found that wide-bottom canning jars work well too.
So here's my question...
I want to culture a bottle of Anchorage Brewing Co White IPA. It's brewed with ale yeast, then aged in wood with Brett. The beer has a strong Brett character, and I want to get the Brett out. What can I do to get the Brett, or am I going to have to culture this up as a mixed Sacro/Brett starter.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #394
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Thanks again for this awesome write up! I slanted some American Ale and British Ale II Wyeast a few months ago and just broke out the first slant and tossed it into a cup of my canned yeast starter (which by the way is also awesome to have around). It's been sitting on there for almost 36 hours and looks nice and milky so my question which may have been already answered but I'm struggling to find it scrolling through these pages:

After that initial step should the yeast hypothetically be somewhere near the 100 billion cells that come in a normal package? And then you just step up from there to the appropriate amount? That's kind of what I was getting but I'm not sure if you came out and said it. Sorry if I'm missing something.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #395
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Excellent information here. Any thoughts on using smaller vials? I already have some tall skinny 5ml vials, and it seems they should work the same way and would just maintain a smaller sample. Would the yeast have enough food for storage or would they not last as long?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #396
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf View Post
Excellent information here. Any thoughts on using smaller vials? I already have some tall skinny 5ml vials, and it seems they should work the same way and would just maintain a smaller sample. Would the yeast have enough food for storage or would they not last as long?
If the slurry is pourable into those vials you'd be somewhere between 1-2 billion cells per ml. So at best I think you'd have 10 billion cells, but more than likely 5-7. You could just do more of them, add like 10 of them to your starter I guess.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #397
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just did some testing using water on my 5ml vials and to get a slant that doesn't cover the bottom so they won't push up, I can use 1 ml of the agar solution in each tube. I just need to buy some agar now to give them a shot.

My plan would be to build up a starter from 1 vial so I may need to add a smaller step to account for my smaller starting volume.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #398
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Has anyone tried and succeeded in slanting Brett? I see no reason it won't work but wanted to ask.

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #399
peter78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone tried the "water immersion" technique from the "yeast" book? Page 198.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #400
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter78 View Post
Has anyone tried the "water immersion" technique from the "yeast" book? Page 198.

I haven't. I'm interested in doing it. Was a centrifuge needed to do this?

Jason

Quick Reply