LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #381
hunterlab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brought my mixture to a slight boil for a few minutes. I have had no problems with the mixture.

Primary:lambic x2
Primary:
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pumpkin ale,Irish Stout, Jet fuel Cider, Sweet Cider, vanilla bourbon porter, deception stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #382
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Being cheap and not wanting to buy new yeast every time plus the fact that I'm hands on and like doing extra stuff for my beer I'm onboard for this. I don't like washing yeast and I've failed at freezing the stuff probably because my freezer doesn't maintain temps so I think this is it for me. Got the pressure cooker cooling now as I've just read through about every post on here. Wish I had done this before because I would have added some food coloring and made sure my caps were autoclavable. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #383
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well the caps survived 15PSI so I guess they are good! I used four grams of agar agar I found at the chinese grocery store; kind of long noodle like stuff. Can't read anything on it because it's all in another language but it did say 100% agar agar and something about it being vegetarian.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #384
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

In the original post it says store in coldest part of the refrigerator, is that the freezer or actual refrigerator

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #385
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeman9988
In the original post it says store in coldest part of the refrigerator, is that the freezer or actual refrigerator
Refrigerator. Typically the bottom where you have slightly colder temps. You can't freeze yeast unless you use glycerin.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #386
raysmithtx
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After buying 4 dead packs of Wyeast from the LHBS this is now on my Christmas list. Thanks for the great write up and the pictures.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #387
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to calculate starter sizes when growing up from slant. When starting from the slant, the culture will have X million or billion cells. But without a way of knowing what X is how do we calculate growth during the process?

If I start with a slant of WLP001 and go culture -> 20ml sterile wort (intermittent shaking for 24hr) -> 200ml sterile wort on stir plate -> 1L starter on plate -> ???

How can I estimate cell count so I know how far I need to step up for the given style (ale/lager) and gravity of the wort short of actual cell counting with a microscope and hemocytometer?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #388
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to calculate starter sizes when growing up from slant. When starting from the slant, the culture will have X million or billion cells. But without a way of knowing what X is how do we calculate growth during the process?

If I start with a slant of WLP001 and go culture -> 20ml sterile wort (intermittent shaking for 24hr) -> 200ml sterile wort on stir plate -> 1L starter on plate -> ???

How can I estimate cell count so I know how far I need to step up for the given style (ale/lager) and gravity of the wort short of actual cell counting with a microscope and hemocytometer?
Use yeastcalc.com and once you get to step three, reset the top value to show the cells you ended up with in step 3.

You can also estimate your cell count based on a 1-4.5 scale where the number represents the billions of cells per mL. A 1 would be a thin slurry, like cloudy wort, and a 4.5 would be a very thick, sticky compact yeast.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #389
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeusch
Thanks for the explanation - I'm sure I would have learned that the hard way.
While I have your attention, do I need to use an erlenmeyer type flask on a stir plate, or will a standard beaker (or even a canning jar) work OK?
I'm sure you already got this answered.. But maybe for future subscribers... Anything with a flat bottom will work. Beakers or mason jars can do starters, but I do. Prefer an Erlenmeyer flask.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #390
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Got my pressure cooker for Christmas, and just placed my Cynmar order.. WOOHOO!!

Quick Reply