Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #361
stillbrewin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default "stabs" vs "slants"

I was recently talking to a Pro-Brewer about slanting and he told me that I wanted to make "stabs" not "slants". He stated that slants were only for something that you were going to use right away, and that you should make "stabs" for anything that you wanted to store over time. He said that I should be stabbing my loop down into the agar 3-4 time for each "stab". I notice that this is the technique that Sac suggests in the original posts, but a lot of the photos I have seen in the thread seem to just be growing on the surface.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #362
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbrewin View Post
I was recently talking to a Pro-Brewer about slanting and he told me that I wanted to make "stabs" not "slants". He stated that slants were only for something that you were going to use right away, and that you should make "stabs" for anything that you wanted to store over time. He said that I should be stabbing my loop down into the agar 3-4 time for each "stab". I notice that this is the technique that Sac suggests in the original posts, but a lot of the photos I have seen in the thread seem to just be growing on the surface.
correct me if I'm wrong. Slant refers to the agar being in an angle (slanted) giving more surface area to work with. that doesn't prevent you from stabbing into the media which is what you want to do when inoculating with a yeast strain.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #363
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You should slant the tube to give the agar more exposed surface area AND stab the loop into the agar in 3 or 4 different places. So you want to do both. The process works GREAT - One smackpack of yeast and I have 40 vials of usable product!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #364
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

slanting like a mad man and saving money, thanks sacch

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #365
gkeusch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have used your tutorial and it is excellent! I have a question - when making a starter from a slant you prescribe the following:

"With the sanitized small funnel, add a bit of wort to the vial. Re-cap, shake, and dump into a sanitized 250mL flask. Repeat to get all the yeasties out."

I did this and it worked fine but why can't you just use a thin blade of some sort (sterilized, of course) and just scoop the yeast off the top and flick it into the flask? It shouldn't matter if you get a bit of the agar jell with it, should it? Seems like this would be a lot less futzing about.

Just wonderin'...

Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #366
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I guess you could. I add some wort into the vial 3 or so times and it works well enough. Sometimes half the agar goes into the starter but it doesn't hurt (and is something to watch to ensure you have circulation with H Strain Yeast (Pilsner Urquell - it doesn't flocculate much to show you the stir bar is behaving)...

Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #367
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeusch View Post
I have used your tutorial and it is excellent! I have a question - when making a starter from a slant you prescribe the following:

"With the sanitized small funnel, add a bit of wort to the vial. Re-cap, shake, and dump into a sanitized 250mL flask. Repeat to get all the yeasties out."

I did this and it worked fine but why can't you just use a thin blade of some sort (sterilized, of course) and just scoop the yeast off the top and flick it into the flask? It shouldn't matter if you get a bit of the agar jell with it, should it? Seems like this would be a lot less futzing about.

Just wonderin'...
an inoculation loop is the best tool when selecting indiviual colonies, but with a inocculated slant what sacch reccomends is the most efficient. less time exposed less time to mess something up, not sure what "futzing" is but the method you have describe seem way more "futz"

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #368
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3473 Times on 2150 Posts
Likes Given: 2983

Damned agar won't solidify.

I made two batches of media for slants this weekend. I boil for a minute or two and stir well to make sure everything is melted and in solution. I've been boiling in my microwave, so maybe that's the problem. Anyway, after that it all goes into the vials and then the pressure cooker for 15 minutes at 15psi.

• 200ml water
  • 10g DME
  • 4g agar agar.
  • 2 drops red food coloring

Did it twice since it didn't solidify the first time. I even put them in the fridge after a day, slants and plates. Still liquid. I bought the agar agar a local oriental market, looked new and normal in a box and pouch. I'm going to double the amount and try again tonight. Geez, what a disappointment. Labor day weekend failure.

This is the agar agar powder I'm using. Anyone know why this would be? I guess I'll just double the amount tonight.

[edit] DON'T USE THIS STUFF. TOO MUCH SUGAR, NOT ENOUGH AGAR.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #369
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'll bet doubling does it. I successful with 4-5% agar, by weight. That seems to be my "balance point.

ETA: you can probably just add the agar, stir, and reprocess without having to mix up a whole new batch.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #370
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3473 Times on 2150 Posts
Likes Given: 2983

UPDATE: Ok, I tried 15 grams in 200ml water and it solidified. I also took the time to look at the ingredients on the box and it lists ingredients as: Sugar, agar agar. So, it's mostly sugar. Tastes like it, too. I guess I'll look for some pure stuff, but I'm going forward with this for now. Not ideal.

Quick Reply