Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #341
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeusch View Post

My confusion is, why don't you want the stir bar in the second flask? Doesn't the stir plate require the bar in the vessel to work? Or is there a different size stir bar required for the larger vessel?
If you drop the stir bar in from the first flask and the stir bar from the second is already in there, you're hosed because two stir bars won't stir. Ask me how I know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #342
gkeusch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the explanation - I'm sure I would have learned that the hard way.
While I have your attention, do I need to use an erlenmeyer type flask on a stir plate, or will a standard beaker (or even a canning jar) work OK?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #343
AlphaWolf-Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just tried my hand at this for the first time and was pretty impressed with the ease of it. The only thing I am concerned about is after the vials have cooled out of the pressure cooker and I opened up a few today to spread the yeast across a couple vials either let out some gas or sucked some in. I was unable to tell which, but I could hear the noise of air moving. Anyone else experience this? I hope it wasnt sucking in and thus would suck in bacteria or mold.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #344
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've heard that sound also. They are sucking air in because when you put the DME solution in it was close to boiling then you capped them, sterilized them and let them cool off. They cooled to room temperature and the internal pressure reduced below atmospheric. Anyway - I've slanted almost one hundred with this occurring and not yet (knock knock) any issues with bacteria or mold, etc....

Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #345
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I made mine, i let them cool off completely before sealing up the lid. I used an autoclave, and not a pressure cooker, but it's all the same. I left the lids on, but not completely closed up so you don't get that rush of air in when opening them. If you are careful when you innoculate the slants and have an updraft from a candle, odds of getting something on the slant other than the yeast you are putting on there are pretty slim i'd think.

Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Logan's Little IPA (baby's session IPA)
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Brett Saison, Berliner Weiss, Heady Topper clone.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #346
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

How does one slant some dry yeast?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #347
lud
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin
How does one slant some dry yeast?
Ok....I'll ask....why do you want to slant dry yeast? It's already in a form that's ideal for long term storage.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #348
ShackNasty
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I tried this for the first time today, and everything SEEMED to go as planned, but now I am left to wait and pray for ten days....

I did notice that after letting the agar sit (slanted) for 24 hours it seemed a bit watery. How thick should the agar be? It stayed slanted, for the most part, only a few became unslanted slants. In the future could I add more agar agar to thicken it up? I used agar agar flakes from a local health food store, would it be better to use the agar powder ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #349
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi, is there any reason not to re-use old slants? I have some slants that I'm not 100% happy with, i.e. theres yeast growth all over them as I didnt streak them properly and others that I'm just never going to use. Can I just re-autocalve them and start again as surely the autoclave will kill whatever is in them?, might even add to the nutrient value. Could that be done with a mouldy slant also?

Thanks

L

Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #350
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackNasty View Post
I tried this for the first time today, and everything SEEMED to go as planned, but now I am left to wait and pray for ten days....

I did notice that after letting the agar sit (slanted) for 24 hours it seemed a bit watery. How thick should the agar be? It stayed slanted, for the most part, only a few became unslanted slants. In the future could I add more agar agar to thicken it up? I used agar agar flakes from a local health food store, would it be better to use the agar powder ?
It takes a few attempts to get the right amount dialed in. When I switched agar sources I kept using the same weight, and ended up with slants so thick that yeast wouldn't even grow on them. Oops. Generally the lab agar powder sets up quite a bit firmer than the health food store stuff. Both work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply