Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #261
Johnny9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Agreed. It must be canned / sterile wort!

OK - Stand back I am trying science!!!
Please check my math....

Using Sacc's recipe of:

-35g DME
-400mL water
-2.5g agar

I just need to figure out how to replace the DME/Water volumes above with an equialent strength wort (at 400 mL).

DME= 45 ppg
35g = 0.077lbs
400mL = 0.104 gallons

Thus: [(.077)45] / .104 = 33.3 ppg

So by my calculations, if I mix 400mL of 1.033 strength wort (canned/sterilize) with 2.5g of Agar, I am good to go...

comments? Corrections? Am I way off base????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #262
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just do this: Take 400ml wort around 1.040 and mix with with 2.5 g agar and you should be fine. The % agar and O.G. of the wort does not need to be exact. Just something close that the yeast have nutrients to grow.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #263
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
I got started with slanting yeasts about 6 weeks ago. I've used 2 slants so far and it has worked great. Here's the part of my brew blog where I documented what I did. I had to remake my slants after the first attempt when I put in too much agar and the slants were way too thick.
http://littleshedbrewery.wordpress.com/category/yeast-propagation/
Nice guide -- I have everything I need, except a pure yeast culture, so I will get at HBS Friday..I have plenty of yeast, just not any 100% pure stuff.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #264
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Perhaps I missed it in reading through the thread but is there a reason to not use a small amount of Hops? If you're doing a bacteria slant I could see the downside but for yeast I'd swear I read somewhere that a little AA can help prevent bacterial contamination. Am I just crazy here? I was planning on picking up a few of the hop cones from outside (I don't have enough this year to bother drying) and throw it into the mix but now I'm not so sure. On top of that, I was going to put a 1/4 tsp of random yeast that I'm not planning on using in addition to a little DAP for nutrient (pre-wort boil / pre-sterilization steps). Is there a negative here I might have overlooked to doing this for slants?

Also, does anyone happen to have the Fat Tire strain on slant per chance and willing to part with a sample? I'm not really clear on the legalities of such a thing as it's not actually beer or wine but I have zero problems either trading supplies for it or outright paying them for it if such a thing is legal. Right now I'm using 05 to make batches of Hophead's F.A.T. and I'm told the wyeast VSS that came out a few years ago works fabulously for this recipe.

On a sidenote, I too picked up the Agar at a local Oriental store (although I later saw it at publix). I'm using 1/2 pint jars as temporaries until my tubes come in as I have no plates. I'm trying to isolate yeast from Muscadines (as a combination of the yeast wrangling thread and this one) that produced good results in a beer last year til contamination (I think) made it kind of bleh after about 3mos.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #265
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The only problem I see with adding hops is that the hop oils negatively effect the yeast, as well as bacteria. I would not use any hops unless you are having problems with contamination, and really, if you can't keep it clean then maybe slanting is not where you should be focusing your energy.

For slanting you really want the healthiest yeast possible, and, though I am not an expert, that is probably not what you'll get using hops.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #266
Accidic

Recipes 

Well, I plated a sample from the skins of my grandfathers muscadines. When I was younger he did batches that finished just above 21 to 23% alcohol so I'm hoping to get lucky and snag some of the same but I'm prob not that fortunate. Wonder what they think of barley...

Old 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #267
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

question about the vials/culture medium...how many times can it be used ?

After culturing on the slant, and transfering all the yeast to starter, can you re-use the culturing medium in the slant, or do you need to remove the agar/wort after each use.

I am assuming that the entire yeast colony is taken off the slant by mixing in small amount of wort, then shaking and adding to small 250ML starter.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #268
Accidic

Recipes 

You can't reuse the culture medium unless you were to sterilize it again and some are saying the agar doesn't reheat/melt well so that's out. Agar is super cheap tho and if your slant tubes or plates are autoclave-able you can sterilize them and make new plates.

Btw, I ran into a local guy who sterilized the medium along with a glass syringe and uses sterile plates with great results. Doesn't seem like it's harder to sterilize the slants as described here tho and seems far less likely to become contaminated that way.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #269
Accidic

Recipes 

Also IIRC earlier in the thread some were saying they were taking only a sample of the slant to inoculate and stepping up from there. Others were dissolving the slant and using the whole thing unless I misread.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #270
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic View Post
You can't reuse the culture medium unless you were to sterilize it again and some are saying the agar doesn't reheat/melt well so that's out. Agar is super cheap tho and if your slant tubes or plates are autoclave-able you can sterilize them and make new plates.

Btw, I ran into a local guy who sterilized the medium along with a glass syringe and uses sterile plates with great results. Doesn't seem like it's harder to sterilize the slants as described here tho and seems far less likely to become contaminated that way.
Thanks - I figured that, but wanted to be sure...I do not know advantage of getting a few cultures from a slant, and making a starter from that ... I imagine it wld require an additional smaller starter to begin the stepping up process..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply