Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Slanting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #131
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

That is definitely more time than required. I brew ten gallon batches and I need 3-4 days.

Wednesday nightslant->10ml wort ->Thursday nightadd to 30ml (12 hours) -> Friday morningadd to 100ml -> Friday nightadd to 300ml -> Saturday morningadd to final starter volume

Every step after 100ml I do on a stirplate. I usually pitch the entire starter. For lagers I add my starter to a gallon or so of wort and let it go another 12 hours at pitch temp before adding back to the chilled full volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #132
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wow this kind of a lot of work. If i go straight from vial to canned (pressure cooked) wort could i just go to a 100ml into a 1L or do i have to worry about the little bit of bacteria that would be in the 1L flask.

Budzu What do you put your 10 ml in? also are you using canned or boiled wort?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #133
Budzu
Recipes 

I can wort from post-boil dregs. Filter through cloth then add water until 1.040.

BTW I am not using a whole slant to innoculate the starter, I'm using only a tiny sample scraped from the slant.

I have several sizes of flasks, and I'll measure out each of those additions into separate flasks before starting from a slant. Then aluminum foil on each flask and run them through the pressure cooker again. I use a 24ml vial (like you might have a slant in) for the 10ml first innoculation. then a 50 ml, 250ml, 1L, and finally a 2L (or gallon jug). I bought the set of flasks from cynmar, 5 or 6 flasks for pretty cheap. You could certainly skip some steps, but I would really suggest keeping the first addition very small and as sterile as possible.

You might go sterile 10ml -> sanitary 100ml -> full volume. Those steps just may need more than 12 hours. The main reason my steps are small is because I like to pitch the whole starter rather than decant. This ideally minimizes the off-flavors from excessive lag time in the starter.

This is just the way it works for me. I took alot of techniques from Pierre Rajotte's book.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #134
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have never had in infection from building up from a slant. Ever. I have had all of: infections, off flavors, and long lag times from re-pitching saved yeast (eg. washing). My experience has been that building up fresh yeast from a slant before every brew is the way to go.

If I'm brewing 10 gallons on Saturday, I will start a slant vial on Thursday with 250mL of sterile wort. On Friday I will split half of that across two 1-2L starters, and pitch both of those on Saturday at high krausen.

Yeast grow to insanely high numbers really fast when you grow them under ideal conditions (lots of nutrients, stir plate, oxygen in the brew).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #135
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for that, Eric, feeling a lot less nervous about it now. My erlenmeyer flasks and glass pipettes came today, although my vials and beakers were on back order. Need to score a pressure canner as well, although trying to find as big a one as possible so I can can starter wort and take that step out of the way.

So all you're doing then is pouring a little of the sterile wort into the slant, shakey shakey, then pitch that into a 250ml, along with some yeast nutrient, on a stir plate? Or are you using pure O2 to oxygenate beforehand?

EDIT: Sorry. I just lurneded 2 reed and use da serch funkshun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
This is the best online resource IMO regarding yeast cell concentration and growth rates in wort:

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-propagation-and-maintenance-principles-and-practices

If you read, you will see why I use a stir plate AND sterile wort for the first step; the method he gives you can use non-sterile wort safely but it requires adding 10mL of wort (which you could add directly to the slant vial) and wait 2-3 days before pitching the 250mL starter. Since I use sterile wort and am very very careful with my sanitation in the first step, I go straight from the slant into 250mL without any problems.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #136
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
There has been plenty of discussion of yeast slanting in various threads, and I know there are other slanters here on the forums, but I have not seen a definitive thread which walks through the process step by step. So, last time I prepared some slants I took some photos and decided to post a tutorial here.

Although it is an advanced technique, yeast slanting has some advantages. You can share yeast strains easily by exchanging slants. Each yeast culture you buy can be used to make 25 batches or so without re-using yeast. You can save platinum/seasonal yeast strains for use year-round. You can harvest yeast from a brew buddy's starter to add to your library. Or if you go to the trouble of bottle harvesting yeast you can save it for future use. As long as you are very careful with sanitation while handling yeast slants, the risk of a contaminated batch is very low -- especially if you compare this technique to re-using yeast from prior fermentations.

I didn't make up all this stuff myself. There are some good resources out there on the web, so be sure to check them out as well before you get started. To name a few good ones:

Making Plates Slants - German Brewing Techniques
Yeast/Culturing - Brewiki
Culturing Yeast and Using Slants
Yeast Propagation and Maintenance - Principles and Practices
Is it possible to keep the DME agar agar mix after the boil? I have about 140ml of solution left and was wondering if i I can put in a plastic container and keep it in the fridge.

cheers
-Chris

Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #137
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipatch View Post
Is it possible to keep the DME agar agar mix after the boil? I have about 140ml of solution left and was wondering if i I can put in a plastic container and keep it in the fridge.
I wouldn't recommend it, it's likely to ferment. I usually mix up 250ml, which is plenty for about 20-25 slants (with the 24ml vials I'm using).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #138
Budzu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipatch View Post
http://www.alsand.com/beer/yeast/index_E.html
If you check this out and click at the top "Pouring plates", it explains how you can save solid sterile agar/wort solution. I however have not had success with getting it to melt and re-liquify. It came out kind of lumpy when I tried it. Its just hard to tell when its all melted. But as far as i know, yes you can. Just be sure not to autoclave your agar solution more than once.

"Instead of pouring many plates at once, I store the solid sterile media in small 100 ml bottles, sealed with a rubber closure.
When the need arises, I simply heat a bottle until media liquifies, then pour it in 5-6 plates."

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #139
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what happens if autoclaved more than once?

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #140
Budzu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingkitty View Post
what happens if autoclaved more than once?
"Putting an agar wort mixture in the autoclave twice will result in a mushy and unsuitable media."

From "First steps in yeast culture"

Quick Reply