Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Skip the secondary for lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
MizzouBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Skip the secondary for lager?

I have 10 gallons of Oktoberfest that is fermenting at 52 degrees. I cold crashed a two gallon starter and pitched that after the wort was at 52 degrees. That was a week ago. I will be out of town all next week. So after three weeks can I just start lowering the temp to where I am going to lager it? Do I really need to rack it? I was planning on tasting some to see if I need to do a D-rest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you may be too late to do an effective D rest if you wait that long. You really need to raise the temp while it's still a bit active. I would check and see if your lager yeast is known to produce detectable diacetyl.

After that, you don't need to rack unless you need more lagering time. I just got a blue ribbon on a pilsner that never saw a secondary.

Welcome to HBT!

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
MizzouBrew
Recipes 

Is the Wyeast 2366 Oktoberfest known to produce detectable diacetyl?

Quick Reply