Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > skimming instead of washing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default skimming instead of washing?

so, the question is simple - why would I wash the yeast if I can skim it off from the beer while I have the krauzen on top?

I'd skim it with a sanitized spoon, toss it in a sanitized jar, and top it with sanitized water...

I suppose there is a catch with this, otherwise everybody would do it this way, so what's the catch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's just one of the other ways of doing things. It's sort of fallen out of favor over the decades, but it's reasonable. But it's something that you cannot easily do in a carboy. But there are lots of true "top cropping" yeasts out there, like Burton ale, where this is still talked about.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's just one of the other ways of doing things. It's sort of fallen out of favor over the decades, but it's reasonable. But it's something that you cannot easily do in a carboy. But there are lots of true "top cropping" yeasts out there, like Burton ale, where this is still talked about.
When I ferment in a bucket it's very easy to do this. This method is much easier than washing. First, because I have pure yeast on top (maybe some hop and protein particles), but it's not even close to what I get from yeast cake (tons of trash that looks like poo by the way)

Thanks for the answer!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
flexbrew
Recipes 

I've wondered about this. I just assumed you could get more by rinsing. How much yeast can one get from top cropping? In a bucket, how do you inow when the right moment is to top crop? I would think there is a chance of infection?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

top cropping is a very traditional way of gathering yeast but you need to be VERY clean. Wyeast recommends cropping once the gravity is below 50%
Link to their yeast harvesting page
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I assume top cropping has fallen out of favor due to the slight possibility of it affecting the current fermentation (i.e. Slowing it, Stalling it, Halting it, Wild innoculation, etc) especially with smaller batches, it's hard to tell when fermentation is 50% or better (which is when you should top crop) and nobody wants to try and take a gravity reading at high kreusen.

That being said, I have done it without any problems as far as you know. Disclaimer portion of the program: We all know however that yeast seems to have a mind of it's own and there are numerous factors that affect fermentation, some of which are completely out of our control.

Also, one can top crop with a carboy simply by using a longer blowoff tube in the fermenting vessel, push it down into the kreusen (If not blowing off) then using a catch vessel with an inlet and outlet in the cap/bung (water in the vessel of course), place a second tube in the catch vessel outlet with the other end in a typical blowoff vessel, this way your yeast is sealed from outside air, have done this and simply placed the capped vessel in the fridge afterwards, no washing needed. I imagine you can even use wert in the catch vessel to grow more yeast as it's harvested, etc. This can be used with a bucket also, it's just harder to adjust the depth of the first "catch" tube.

Yeast on my friends

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
pkiller001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Also, one can top crop with a carboy simply by using a longer blowoff tube in the fermenting vessel, push it down into the kreusen (If not blowing off) then using a catch vessel with an inlet and outlet in the cap/bung (water in the vessel of course), place a second tube in the catch vessel outlet with the other end in a typical blowoff vessel, this way your yeast is sealed from outside air, have done this and simply placed the capped vessel in the fridge afterwards, no washing needed. I imagine you can even use wert in the catch vessel to grow more yeast as it's harvested, etc. This can be used with a bucket also, it's just harder to adjust the depth of the first "catch" tube.
Any pictures of this? It sounds great, especially for making a big starter for a big beer.

How do you predict pitching rates from top-cropped samples? Is it a constant I could plug into Mr. Malty?

Primary: wild yeast and dust motes
Primary:Premium Bitter 2
Secondary 1: Straight Lambic Solera
Secondary 2: Flanders Red
Bottled:JP BDG, Premium Bitter 1, Oatmeal Imperial Stout, Pearl-Beer Lambic, Chimay Grand Reserve Clones, Chocolate Imperial Stout, Adam Beer Attempt

On Deck: Elysian Avatar Clone

Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiller001 View Post
Any pictures of this? It sounds great, especially for making a big starter for a big beer.

How do you predict pitching rates from top-cropped samples? Is it a constant I could plug into Mr. Malty?
I was thinking while typing that I should take a picture next time.

I simply used Mrmalty as re-pitched from slurry, but probably don't have all the settings right, there is a thick yeast setting I believe but I don't understand all I know about Mrmalty yet.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Top cropping has to be done on the yeasts' schedule. And, every yeast and beer has its own time line. Washing is done on the brewer's schedule.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Burton Union.

Quick Reply