Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Simple cooling trick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckredbeard View Post
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. I'm posting this in case someone is looking for an easy way to cool a primary now that warmer months are here.

I can't get a ferm chamber, so I've been trying the wet wrap and fan trick. My temps were staying around 72 in a basement that is currently 74. I have two bar towels wrapped around the primary, held in place by two long rubber bands. I had tried adding ice under the towels, but it became a puddle too fast. Light bulb moment!

We have a few of those refreezable ice blocks, the ones that are about 1x3x5. I stuffed 3 of those under the towels, evenly spaced, and rewet the towels. After about one hour, the fermometer is showing 68!

Since I have several of these, I'll just keep rotating them. What would be cool is some kind if belt with pockets to hold them. Hmm...
Sounds like a lot of work to drop ~2 degrees..... as others have suggested, why not just use a swamp cooler. Less work and better temp control. I have a beer in one now, room temp's ~71, fermenter temp's ~67 and I haven't added ice bottles in over 48 hours. That's ~5 degrees with no effort, and I had that fermenter at ~63 a couple days ago when it was hot hot outside (room temp was ~75) with very little effort and that was during high krausen.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
buffalojoe29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is awesome! Thank you for the great ideas!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Meatyboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I suppose because I'm a truck driver and on the road 2-3 weeks at a time, I'm just gonna have to buy a cooling system for my fermenter huh? My house stays around 68-70.

Hopelessly lost... But I'm making great time!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatyboy View Post
I suppose because I'm a truck driver and on the road 2-3 weeks at a time, I'm just gonna have to buy a cooling system for my fermenter huh? My house stays around 68-70.

I would recommend a fermentation fridge to anybody serious about making beer. The fridge you can get cheap or even free on criagslist. People seam to throw away perfectly functional fridges all the time when they remodel or just upgrade their appliances.

The temp controller is the expensive part. I recommend the digital models and if your really serious the dual output are the best. That way you can heat and cool from the same controller. Dial it in and you can have the fermenter consistently within one degree of any temp you want.

Quick Reply