Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > silly yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default silly yeast question

Is there any difference in saving yeast from a fermentation that started with dry yeast vs liquid yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts

No difference.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
TomStew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What a silly question! Haha I'm kidding, I just like this word.. silly.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Some peeps here say is its not worth the trouble of washing yeast from a brew made with dry yeast. but i say why throw good yeast away and 3 bucks is 3 bucks. and since i harvest yeast i really find it fun!!!

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks guys.
Kegging my Cream ale tomorrow,and brewing a brown ale.
Used US-05, and will save some of the yeast for this next batch.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have found US-05 to be better the second time around. I usually don't reuse yeast because most of my beers are about the same OG and my understanding is that for best results you should use yeast from a smaller beer. That said, The couple of times I have reused it, I was making a bigger beer the second time around.

If anyone has had results indicating that the "bigger beer" theory is wrong, as are many of the "old Rules", I would like to hear about it. The extra 3 bucks would go a long way if used for hops instead of yeast

Bob

Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
I have found US-05 to be better the second time around. I usually don't reuse yeast because most of my beers are about the same OG and my understanding is that for best results you should use yeast from a smaller beer. That said, The couple of times I have reused it, I was making a bigger beer the second time around.

If anyone has had results indicating that the "bigger beer" theory is wrong, as are many of the "old Rules", I would like to hear about it. The extra 3 bucks would go a long way if used for hops instead of yeast
Never heard about the 'bigger beer' theory. I re-use yeast all the time in similar gravity beers without any problems. The main rules I go by are (and sometimes I break them):

1) Only reuse yeast from Primary (you start to select less flocculating yeast if you continually harvest from Secondary).

2) Don't re-use yeast from bad batches.

3) Don't re-use yeast from any beer 1.075 or higher (it will accelerate mutations and lose the original yeast character).

4) Remember, every time you re-use yeast it mutates slightly. Re-using it too many times and you will lose the original characteristics of the yeast. I generally restrict use to 5 times from the original strain (but that can still get you 20+ beers from a single vial if you do it right).

I've broken these rules many times, but that's generally because I want to get just one more beer with that yeast strain before changing out the yeast in my line-up.

Quick Reply