Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Silly question - harvesting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
NoH20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Silly question - harvesting yeast

I have a conical fermenter, but I haven't yet attempted to harvest and wash yeast. I typically dump a little from the bottom every few days once fermentation starts, primarily so that there isn't too much sludge which makes things hard to drain out of the bottom valve. Once fermentation has appeared to have completed, I try to dump all that has collected in the bottom and let it sit another week or so (so, this is like my secondary).

Once keg the beer, there is still a fairly good amount of trub in the bottom of the conical.

My question is, when do I collect yeast? Every time I'm dumping out of the bottom valve, it's yeast correct?

Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoH20 View Post
My question is, when do I collect yeast? Every time I'm dumping out of the bottom valve, it's yeast correct?
Trub. Some of it is healthy yeast, but some of that gunk you don't want. Dispense the thick stuff, when it start to get "watery" capture that to reuse: Jump to 3:40

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply