Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison yeast = Kellerweis yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison yeast = Kellerweis yeast?

I don't know how many people here had a chance to have Sierra Nevada's Ovila saison, but I thought it was quite excellent. I have been thinking of capturing this yeast from the bottle, but am some what convinced from Terrence Sullivan's talk, "sacred stones" at NHC this year that they are filtering these beers and adding a neutral ale yeast for bottle conditioning.

Earlier this week I got a sixer of their Kellerweis and was sure that the two beers have a similar yeast flavor profile.

Any one else have any input on this?

I'm thinking of trying to culture yeasts from both sources, and splitting a batch too see. though I think it might be tough to get the Ovila saison, I do think the bottle shop down the street from me has a few left.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't had the beer your speaking of, but I have also heard that snpa filters there beer, and adds another yeast to bottle condition. It seems like a common practice, from reading probrewer. I believe it too, because the sediment in there bottle's is paper thin. I have never seen such a thin yeast layer in an un-filtered bottle of beer before.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Jsuds
Recipes 

I was at the brewery just last Saturday. On the tour they were very proud of the special yeast they got from Belgium. They use another yeast for the Keller and just ferment it higher temps creating the banana ester. A flavor also present in Belgians because they are also ferment at a higher temps.

I asked if they used different yeast for bottling and the answer was no. He encouraged propagating the yeast if you wanted but the pale and many other ales have the Chico yeast in it. He said it was common in brew shops though I've never seen it before. It may have another name.

I only had a chance to sample the quad. Great stuff for sure, my next visit I may head all the way up to the monastery to check it out.

Amazing tour btw, a must for beer junkies.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

The quad is great. I really liked it and the dubbel. I didn't get a chance to buy the saison over the summer.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Good to know, thanks for the information. I still have not had the quad. I must get one soon. Then culture the dregs.

I think when he is referring to Chico ale yeast he is talking about cal ale wlp001.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Chico = WLP001 = Wyeast1056 = S-05. The ubiquitous American yeast

Quick Reply