Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Should I be worried?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
tnnsstud12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I be worried?

Help...Brewed a moderately hopped ~45IBU AG wheat with 4lbs two row, 4 lbs white wheat, and 1/2lb 10L caramel on 2/26. Hopped with magnum, willamette, and cascade pellets and no grain bag so there was a fair amount of trub when I racked it. Original gravity of 1.056. Fermented with US-05 at 65, racked to secondary on 3/10 after pretty vigorous fermentation and gravity stopped at 1.018. After the past 10 days in secondary my beer is not dropping clear at all. The top two inches or so are clear but the rest is hazy white. Should I be worried about this at all or be patient and give it more time to clear. I was thinking of cold crashing and adding some gelatin or does this look like I just need to let it do it's own thing. When racking to secondary it had a slightly off taste but nothing awful so infection has also crossed my mind.
Let me know what you all think.

Pictures are here http://cid-bab8f2236c7b785d.skydrive.../Beer%20Photos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

honestly its almost white- like nothing i have ever seen. I can tell you that because of the wheat in the beer it may take longer to clear. Also did you use any fining agents when you boiled? Irish moss, whirlflock, polyclar etc.... I would give this some more time and then you can try gelatin or isinglass with cold crash.

When you say off taste what is it? sour, acidic, biting, medicinal, band-aid, plastic....

Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

just for clarification

Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is a dumper.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnnsstud12 View Post
Help...Brewed a moderately hopped ~45IBU AG wheat with 4lbs two row, 4 lbs white wheat, and 1/2lb 10L caramel on 2/26. Hopped with willamette pellets and no grain bag so there was a fair amount of trub when I racked it. Original gravity of 1.056. Fermented with US-05 at 65, racked to secondary on 3/10 after pretty vigorous fermentation and gravity stopped at 1.018. After the past 10 days in secondary my beer is not dropping clear at all. The top two inches or so are clear but the rest is hazy white. Should I be worried about this at all or be patient and give it more time to clear. I was thinking of cold crashing and adding some gelatin or does this look like I just need to let it do it's own thing. When racking to secondary it had a slightly off taste but nothing awful so infection has also crossed my mind.
Let me know what you all think.

Pictures are here http://cid-bab8f2236c7b785d.skydrive.../Beer%20Photos
I would say that most wheat beers aren't clear, at least for a while, so I wouldn't worry about that. But after looking at the picture, I just don't know what to think. Is your beer really that color, or is that the lighting? It's definitely very odd. Does it smell sour? Does it seem "off"?

I guess you could wait a week and see. Either it'll get better, or it'll get worse. If it's better, then it can be bottled. If it's worse, well, then you'll know for sure.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
tnnsstud12
Recipes 

That is the actual color of it. It is very strange. I guess I would describe the taste as a bit astringent but I am not positive of that. It is kind of a vegetal flavor too I would say. It does not smell off, it smells like hoppy beer. I will give it a week, give gelatin a shot, and then taste it before bottling again and see what I think.

Quick Reply