The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Should I finish my Lager with an Ale yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
rengelma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I finish my Lager with an Ale yeast?

So, I decided to make a big lager and I think I over shot my mark... I started with a 5 gal batch with an OG of 1.106 (I was thinking Imperial stout w/ lager yeast)

I pitched a massive yeast starter decanted down to a 1/4 gallon of yeast slurry (WYeast 2206). No problems with starting fermentation or controlling the temperature. Racked it to the secondary this week and I've got a SG of 1.042 about 8.7 ABV... So now the beer is lagering and I think that this is a bit too sweet to be my final SG.

I was thinking about pulling the beer out and pitching a champagne yeast to finish off the sugar. The other option I'm considering is to age it on oak to bring in some acid to counter act the huge sweetness.

Thoughts?

Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm not an expert, but I would imagine that if you used an ale yeast and raised your temps, the lager yeast would produce some off flavours. If I were you, I would add a hybrid ale yeast that ferments at low temps, if anything at all.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
mochaporter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You're only at ~60% apparent attenuation (if my math is right), so you might just pitch some re-hydrated dry lager yeast. Saflager 34/70 is pretty hardy, though I've never pushed it as high gravity as your beer. I use S-23 for big Baltic Porters and get good results and good attenuation. It's not as clean as the 34/70 but it works well in a big, roasty beer. I haven't used S-189 myself, but it supposedly has a high alcohol tolerance.

A face for radio and a voice for writing.

Myers Fermentation Project

Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Wyeast's "Hella Bock" seasonal is still available, I think, and that's a lager yeast with a pretty impressive alcohol tolerance. That might be an option, too.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Try to get a hold of Charlie p's cry havoc yeast ( I think that's what its called) it ferments at both ale and lagers temps and is real clean

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

basically a hybrid that ferments at low temps with high attenuation...seems like you have some options.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why not just pull it and do a 3-4 day d-rest at 60 degrees. That should be enough to make the yeast active and pull your FG down. Just a thought.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
rengelma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69 View Post
Why not just pull it and do a 3-4 day d-rest at 60 degrees. That should be enough to make the yeast active and pull your FG down. Just a thought.
I already did a d-rest and moved to secondary...probably shouldn't have moved it off the yeast cake

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

yes, i missed the part of you moving it off the yeast cake. I would think you should be able to do another d-rest to activate what yeast is still in there to bring the fg down. I'm not 100 percent sure on that though, i don't see that it would hurt anything.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
rengelma
Recipes 

Red Star Premier Cuvée -18% tolerance will ferment down @ 45 degrees... should avoid the potential off flavors from bring the temp up too high, claims to be a "clean and neutral" fermentor. Probably won't alter the good yeast flavors already produce by my lager yeast.

Has anyone ever finished a beer with a wine yeast? I am beginning to think that this might be the best way to get the sugar down with out adding new flavors to the beer.

Quick Reply