New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Should I bottle or wait a week?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
lorne17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Should I bottle or wait a week?

Hello there,

I am about ready to bottle my first brew. It's a Nut Brown Ale from NorthernBrewer. I was made it 2 saturdays ago (15 days). It has been fermenting in a 5 gallon glass carboy the entire time, no secondary transfer. It has an airlock bubbler on it, and it is bubbling once every 14-21 seconds.

Should I bottle now as the recipe calls for 2 weeks, or should I wait until next weekend?

Recipe is here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/NutBrown.pdf

Thanks,
Lorne

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If it is still bubbling then let it go until it stops. You don't want bottle bombs. Way to go on your first brew but it is hard to wait for it to be done.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds good thanks Chattan.

Yea I'm eager to bottle and eager to brew my next batch. I will just have to do it next weekend before the super bowl.

Thanks,
Lorne

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like waiting would be in the beer's best interest.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do you have a hydrometer? Taking a gravity reading is really the only way to see how the fermentation is going. All the bubbling means is that a gas is coming out of the fermenter.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Don't just go by the bubbles. Take a hydrometer reading. If it is within a point or two of what the recipe says and/or is stable for a couple of days it is done.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes I have a Hydrometer. How do i tell if it's done with it? The recipe says this: O.G: 1.044 READY: 4 WEEKS What does that mean? sorry for the rookie questions.

Since it's in a 5 gallon glass carboy with foam stuck to the sides of the fermentor, what do you suggest I do for the readings? I can't see through the glass to read it?

If I need to take a bit out, what's the best way to do so without adding bacteria and contaminating the brew?

Thanks,
Lorne

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne17 View Post
Yes I have a Hydrometer. How do i tell if it's done with it? The recipe says this: O.G: 1.044 READY: 4 WEEKS What does that mean? sorry for the rookie questions.

If I need to take a bit out, what's the best way to do so without adding bacteria and contaminating the brew?
I use a cleaned and sanitized wine thief to draw samples and put them into a hydrometer sample tube. I then drink the sample (don't return it to the carboy to avoid contamination) just to acquire a taste for beer as it goes through the fermentation process.

If you get the same reading three days apart, then you can confirm that the fermentation part is done. Do not go by the airlock...you want to be safe to avoid bottle bombs.

This is a wine thief
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermtech-wine-thief.html

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I use a cleaned and sanitized wine thief to draw samples and put them into a hydrometer sample tube.
Thanks twalte,

I will try to find something I can use to pull out of my carboy and test with my hydrometer. I don't think we even have a turkey baster! I just put a wine thief and hydrometer test kit on my wishlist!

Lorne

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #10
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So i just tried to pull a sample out with my 1/4" hard tube. It was taking forever, so like a smart logical guy, I was like, oh I'll just pull it out by sucking on the tube, then putting my thumb over the tube to stop it and pull it out. Well I didn't really have more of a plan than that and it came up, and dropped right back into my carboy. VERY little went in my mouth and back down the straw. I tried to pull it out quickly, but I don't know if I got bacteria in it. So I decided to go to the hardware store tomorrow and get an actual tube I can use as a wine thief and test with hydrometer.

Any thoughts as to if my beer is ruined now?!?! I really hope it's not. I did have a little I tasted (not enough for my hydrometer), and it was quite delicious, just flat. I hope it's ok.

Fermenting:Tres Nieves Milk Stout Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter On Deck:Orange Belgian

Quick Reply