Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Should fermentation be slowing down already?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
velorider11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Should fermentation be slowing down already?

Hi, I brewed a NB Belgian strong golden extract Wed afternoon with OG of 1.08. At 4:30, I pitched 2 smack packs of Wyeast 1388 and 1 vial of WLP545 with wort at 70 degrees and put in my basement with ambient temp. of 70 degrees. Next morning, there was a nice 2 inch krausen and the fermometer said 71 degrees. Now about 30 hours later, the krausen is subsiding and the wort is at 73 degrees. The yeast are still visibly active in the carboy. 2 inches is as big as the krausen got and I don't think I've ever done a brew that didn't need a blow off hose. With pitching 3 containers of yeast, I thought for sure it would blow off but is it normal for the krausen to be subsiding so soon? Does this mean I won't get down to my desired final gravity of around 1.010-1.012 or can it keep fermenting for a long while even though it seems to be slowing down so soon? I figured I wouldn't take a hydrometer reading yet as the yeast are still so active. Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by velorider11 View Post
I figured I wouldn't take a hydrometer reading yet as the yeast are still so active.
Bingo, it is too early to be asking these questions, let it ferment, then take your reading

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

While it may be slowing down it is obviously not done so leave it be, eventually the krausen will drop out and begin clearing the beer, once that's done take a reading.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Sounds like that will be a pretty good beer, no worries on the krausen. Let that thing ferment and leave the temp alone...it's in a good range for a Belgian Strong. Once that krausen has been gone for a few days, then you can try a hydrometer reading.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply