Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Settling Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
TravtheMav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Settling Yeast

Figure this is where a Q like this belongs. I am currently brewing a Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout with Vanilla. In the past I have had a little more sediment/yeast at the bottom of my bottles than preferable and am trying to avoid this.

I have moved my secondary into a tertiary fermenter to get even greater separation. My question is how long does it take to get the residual yeast to settle? Is it a couple of hours (its been about 12 hours now) so that I may be good already, or does really good separation occur only after days/weeks?

And yes I know things like Irish Moss would have helped, but too late for that. Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If you can cd crash it for a few days that would take care of it, otherwise it could take a week or so.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
TravtheMav
Recipes 

Good to know; I live in TX and have a small freezer. Cold crashing is out so another week it is. Thanks!

Quick Reply