New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Servomyces in starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
BuzzCraft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Servomyces in starter?

I just finished reading Chris White's book, "Yeast" and have been looking into zinc supplementation for yeast growth/metabolism. Sounds like using Servomyces is perhaps the best way to go, except for the expense.

In "How to Brew", Palmer states..."Zinc acts as a catalyst and tends to carry over into the succeeding generation—therefore it is probably better to add it to either the starter or the main wort but not both."

So, I'm wondering if one could get a large part of the benefits of the zinc in Servomyces at a reduced cost by scaling down the amount in a capsule (from a 5 gallon batch size) and just use it in the starter. I have access to lab grade scales, so accuracy shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
beerman1957
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/some-observations-using-servomyces-68626/

Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

thanks....I've read that and probably most other Servomyces threads on here already, but my question is pretty specific and a departure from conventional Servomyces use.

i really didn't expect too many responses with regard to practical experience, just wondering if there are any inherent flaws in the proposal. maybe i should post on the Brew Science forum.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

wyeasts' stuff is cheaper. i use it in starters and main wort.

Quick Reply