Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #51
SumnerH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But this is Denny we're talking about here, I thought you could just wave your hand and the yeast would fall out for you.
No, no, no. He has to play his pipe to get the yeasties to do his bidding.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #52
l3agel
Recipes 

What would be the problem with adding fruit to the primary? Why is a secondary necessary for that?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #53
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3agel View Post
What would be the problem with adding fruit to the primary? Why is a secondary necessary for that?
In my experience the combination of fermenting fruit goop, hops scum and trub usually makes for tough racking after. It's easier to eliminate some of it, by removing the trub.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #54
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
No, no, no. He has to play his pipe to get the yeasties to do his bidding.
Sorry, I have other uses for the pipe! I play ukulele for the yeast!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #55
gplutt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerLover24 View Post
I used to secondary until I heard Jamil's podcast. My beers have definitely improved. I don't even secondary my lagers! I just cold store them in the primary. It sounds wrong, but I recently made a German Pils this way and it attenuated down to 1.007. Cleanest beer I have brewed, no off flavors. All secondaries do is oxidize the beer. The key is yeast health. Long exposure to clean yeast won't introduce undesirable flavors, but it will help clean up the beer.

about two or three weeks fermentation, three days diacetyl rest, and 6 weeks lagering in the same carboy, no transfer.

Edited for spelling.

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Last edited by gplutt; 05-14-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Thunderduks Likes This 
Old 05-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #56
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinelf View Post
Do any of you guys who dry hop in primary wash your yeast afterward? We wash our yeast most of the time, and it seems like all those hops would make that a bad idea, but if it's been done successfully...

When I plan on washing a batch, I run my trub through a paint strainer bag after the boil on its way to the fermenter. If I dry hop, I'll do it in a large hop bag. Those steps make my trub noticeably cleaner when I start the wash from the primary.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #57
SkyWalker
Recipes 

hmmm i am about to do my first brew tomorrow and i have a question...

would there be any reason why i shouldnt use a glass 5 gallon carboy for my primary for a 5 gallon batch of irish stout? my LHBS said that my primary fermenter has to be at least 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch

i bought a plastic 6.5 gallon carboy and glass 5 gallon carboy so i could do a secondary into my glass, but after reading this thread i realized that secondary isnt necessary... if i can use a 5 gallon glass carboy as a primary for a 5 gallon batch, im going to brew another beer next week

Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #58
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
hmmm i am about to do my first brew tomorrow and i have a question...

would there be any reason why i shouldnt use a glass 5 gallon carboy for my primary for a 5 gallon batch of irish stout? my LHBS said that my primary fermenter has to be at least 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch

i bought a plastic 6.5 gallon carboy and glass 5 gallon carboy so i could do a secondary into my glass, but after reading this thread i realized that secondary isnt necessary... if i can use a 5 gallon glass carboy as a primary for a 5 gallon batch, im going to brew another beer next week
You definitely don't need a 6.5 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch, it just makes it easier. Plenty of people on here do 5 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys, you'll just need a blowoff tube for the krausen (foam) that raises up on your beer. Otherwise it will blow the top off your carboy and make a mess. Do a search and you'll see tons of threads on making them. Here's a good one.

BillyBrew.com - Craft beer and homebrewing blog

Follow me on Twitter right here

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #59
SkyWalker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBroas View Post
You definitely don't need a 6.5 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch, it just makes it easier. Plenty of people on here do 5 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys, you'll just need a blowoff tube for the krausen (foam) that raises up on your beer. Otherwise it will blow the top off your carboy and make a mess. Do a search and you'll see tons of threads on making them. Here's a good one.
awesome thanks for the links! now i can do another batch at the same time with out buying another carboy

Old 05-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #60
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBroas View Post
Like a lot of brewers here on HBT, I've discovered that the transfer to a secondary fermenter really isn't necessary, unless I am doing something like adding fruit or dry hopping. Leave it in the primary 3-4 weeks and I'm good to go.
IIRC, John and Jamil also spoke about leaving in the primary. Stating it was not necessary to leave beer in the primary more than 2 weeks, then bottling (as opposed to 4 weeks which has been a standard line here). May have even been on the same podcast. I believe it was the most recent one on bottling and kegging.

Quick Reply