New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #41
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinelf View Post
Do any of you guys who dry hop in primary wash your yeast afterward? We wash our yeast most of the time, and it seems like all those hops would make that a bad idea, but if it's been done successfully...
I've done it, but it's a bit more of a pain. Leaf hops come out ok, but the pellet sludge makes it tougher. If I'm planning on washing yeast, I dryhop in the secondary. If I remember to transfer. Sometimes I forget, because dryhopping in the bucket is so much easier, and then I go "oh, darn!" when I remember I have to wash that yeast!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #42
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3449

I think those times when I've harvested dry hopped pellet primary only beers, I've probably just had to do a "rinse cycle" a couple more times than I would if there weren't excess hops in there. But it's never seemed any bigger of a deal to me that washing yeast is period. I use a couple of 1 gallon mason jars when I rinse, I'll dump a gallon of water in to the bucket, then pour that into gallon one, then after that settles pour off the top stuff, add more water and transfer it to gallon two.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #43
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I prefer to make my starters a little bigger and harvest my yeast for washing from there. Much less trub, hops and dead yeast to deal with compared to harvesting from the primary.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I
mkravitz13 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #44
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Still a good idea to x-fer when you intend to age for 3+ months?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #45
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 390

I let the beer decide for me. I avoid secondary if I can. If the beer isn't clearing the way I'd like after a month in primary, I xfer to secondary. For whatever reason, it seems to accelerate the clearing process.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #46
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsloan View Post
Still a good idea to x-fer when you intend to age for 3+ months?
For long-term aging, it's best to transfer to a keg under a CO2 blanket. If a keg is not available, a secondary vessel (carboy, Better Bottle) will do. When leaving the beer on the yeast for an extended period (months), you can start picking up off-flavors from autolysis and such.
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale

Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #47
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I let the beer decide for me.
That's really the best way to go all-around. Listen to what your beer tells you. Once you learn its language, it will tell you exactly what should be done to it and at what time.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #48
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I let the beer decide for me. I avoid secondary if I can. If the beer isn't clearing the way I'd like after a month in primary, I xfer to secondary. For whatever reason, it seems to accelerate the clearing process.
But this is Denny we're talking about here, I thought you could just wave your hand and the yeast would fall out for you. That's why we have a yeast named after you, right? 'cause they just follow you everywhere.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #49
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But this is Denny we're talking about here, I thought you could just wave your hand and the yeast would fall out for you. That's why we have a yeast named after you, right? 'cause they just follow you everywhere.
Man, IF ONLY it worked that way! The reason people _think_ I'm a great brewer is because I never talk about the batches I screw up!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

funnycreature Likes This 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #50
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Man, IF ONLY it worked that way! The reason people _think_ I'm a great brewer is because I never talk about the batches I screw up!
Neither do I. SO our secret's out now.

Quick Reply