Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #361
TallyMaltyAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmingstay

You're saying that your primary-only beers are *less* carbonated?
Without a side-by-side comparison of a split-batch, I imagine this is hard to really verify. But I would expect the opposite, that the "clearer" secondary'd beer would have trouble carbonating...
Yes. The primary only beers seem to be less carbonated and very little head on those beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #362
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyMaltyAle View Post
Yes. The primary only beers seem to be less carbonated and very little head on those beers.
Then your beers not carbed yet. Length of primary has NO affect on carbonation level. If your beer is less carbed then you're doing something different or you are not waiting long enough for your beer to be carbed.

There's no logical reason for length of primary causing this....I've been long primarying on here probably longer that anyone, and my beers are no more or less carbed than the beers I occasionally secondary.

Carbonation has to do with the sugar you add AFTER your beer has finished fermenting and clearing. It's no different if you long primary for a month or use a secondary. The beer is really the same.

What you do prior to carbonation in terms of this is really null and void, it's what you do at bottling time and after that determines level of carb.

Are you comparing higher gravity beers that take longer to carb and condition with lower grav beers?

If you judge an ordinary bitter with a low grav at 3 weeks, that is probably finished carbed, with a higher grav beer like a Russian imperial stout at 3 weeks (which may take 2 months to carb in reality,) the RIS will APPEAR to be less carbed, simply because a RIS takes longer.

But none of it has anything to do with whether or not you did a long primary or a secondary.....

One caveat to this is, if you never take gravity readings and bottle after only a week without using EITHER a long primary or a secondary your beer could indeed appear to be over carbed, because fermentation was probably not complete before you bottled. Fermentation is going to continue of the still unfermented sugars AND the fresh sugar you added, so the co2 level would be higher and the beer would be carbed more......and you could be getting bottle bombs as well.

That's why all those old homebrewers use to get bottle bombs back in the day because they didn't leave sufficient time for fermentation to be complete, or use a hydrometer...they added more sugar to beer that was still fermenting and trapped it all into a bottle.

Caveat two is similar to caveat one. If you had a stuck fermentation and bottled, it could appear the same way as caveat one for the same reason, fermentation kicks up again in the bottle.

But under normal circumstances, regardless of whether you racked at two weeks into a secondary for 2 weeks OR kept it in the primary for a month, the same beer will not be any more or less carbed than the other in this instance....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #363
piteko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then your beers not carbed yet. Length of primary has NO affect on carbonation level.
I totally agree. Never had a problem, even on very low carbonation beer which need an extra attention not to underdo nor to overdo it. I'm referring to something like 60/ and mild where your bottle carbonation has to be perfect otherwise you are outside of the style very easily. For those styles I add sugar aiming to 1.3-1.4 and when I pour a 50cl bottle in a pint glass (56cl) I obtain half an inch of foam in just one shot, leaving just the yeast in the bottle. It's very tricky, if primary was a source of problem with carbonation, I think I had realized it immediatly. Thanks again to Revvy who converted me to primary only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If your beer is less carbed then you're doing something different or you are not waiting long enough for your beer to be carbed.

Are you comparing higher gravity beers that take longer to carb and condition with lower grav beers?
I could suggest stressed yeast in any way or temperature drop after bottling.

Cheers from Italy!
Piteko

see -> http://www.piteko.com
read -> http://piteko.blogspot.com

Revvy Likes This 
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #364
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Wow! I just got done reading this thread in it's entirety, lots of good stuff. Due to this thread, I'm going to leave the Cream Ale I brewed yesterday on my fermenter bucket for a whole month before bottling.

I've only been home brewing since last April and I'm drinking some of mine right now. Until yesterday, I've always "followed the directions" whether it be the instruction sheet that came with the NB extract kit or the John Palmer on-line or paper book. So far, all my home brew has been anywhere near being "clear"; in fact, it's fair to say that it's pretty cloudy. Starting with the Cream Ale from yesterday, I'm going to see if the four week on primary will help or solve that problem.

Thanks for the good information, I appreciate it!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #365
Giggliato
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I haven't read through this entire thread but I was wondering about open fermentations and racking to a secondary? I like the simplicity of open fermentations but it seems like a transfer is necessary, unless perhaps I brew small batches and just drink them after a few days of fermentation?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #366
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Or just cover your fermenter once the krausen has dropped.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #367
Giggliato
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Or just cover your fermenter once the krausen has dropped.
Do you think I would need an airlock? Or should I just seal the bucket, wait a few more days and then drink?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #368
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggliato View Post
Do you think I would need an airlock? Or should I just seal the bucket, wait a few more days and then drink?
Well, I'd wait more than a few more days, but I don't know how long a time we're talking about. The few times I tried open fermentation, after the krausen had fallen (about 5 days IIRC) I put a lid with an airlock on the fermenter and waited another couple weeks.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #369
blackcows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got through reading the entire 37 page thread, lots of great information. I have always used a secondary and know I just need to take the leap and go right into the keg but the thing that is stopping me is that after each secondary I seem to have a layer of trub that I wash out of the Better Bottle. In my mind I think that if I don't secondary this layer of trub goes right into the keg. After I finish a keg there is always a bit of solids in the bottom but not as much as in the secondary. If I don't secondary would I just end up pulling all of the trub out on the first pint and basically end up in the same place thus eliminating my need for a secondary?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #370
piteko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcows View Post
In my mind I think that if I don't secondary this layer of trub goes right into the keg.
The idea is to keep the beer into the primary longer than you would do if you were to do the secondary. This to let what you would find into the secondary drop on the bottom of the primary.

Cheers from Italy!
Piteko

see -> http://www.piteko.com
read -> http://piteko.blogspot.com

Quick Reply