New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #281
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv
I asked this in the yeast washing thread but will ask here too. My 1st AG and 1st no secondary brew was the same brew, a Stone ruination IPA Clone (so lots of trub). I ended up with over a gallon of trub, how much success do Primary only AG brewers have in harvesting/washing their yeast when there is so so so much extra ****e at the bottom of the fermenter upon tranferring to bottling bucket or keg...and in particular what steps do you take to do so?
I think maybe the problem lies somewhere in your process. Do you whirlpool or vorlauf? Is your racking cane going straight to the bottom of your kettle or hovering over the hop sludge/hot break material?

I haven't had any issues unless it's a hop bomb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #282
natewv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
I think maybe the problem lies somewhere in your process. Do you whirlpool or vorlauf? Is your racking cane going straight to the bottom of your kettle or hovering over the hop sludge/hot break material?

I haven't had any issues unless it's a hop bomb.
I'm confused about what you are asking? I do BIAB for now, and admittedly did not strain the cooled wort prior to pitching, on this batch which I've done in recent batches.

With no secondary I simply have more trub.

I don't use a racking cane to go from kettle to primary, I 'vigorously pour it to aerate the sh*t out of it. I don't understand when my racking cane would be invlooved?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #283
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv

I'm confused about what you are asking? I do BIAB for now, and admittedly did not strain the cooled wort prior to pitching, on this batch which I've done in recent batches.

With no secondary I simply have more trub.

I don't use a racking cane to go from kettle to primary, I 'vigorously pour it to aerate the sh*t out of it. I don't understand when my racking cane would be invlooved?
When your boil is finished and after you cool to pitching temps you are left with all kinds of solids at the bottom of your kettle (hop sludge, hot break material, grain particles that didn't stay in you bag). Swirling the wort vigorously and letting it sit covered for about 20 min should make all of that stuff compact into a cone or mound in the middle of your kettle. If you rack it to your fermenter instead of dumping it all in you will have much less trub in your primary. You can aerate be sloshing it all around or whisking it. Better yet you can get an aeration system with oxygen or an aquarium pump. There are some great how to guides on here for that.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #284
Josephbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Has anyone here has ferment a batch for 4 weeks or so and then re-use the same yeast for another batch. Re-use meaning as just pour the next brew on top of what is left in the carboy or should I wash the yeast instead?.
I want to do first a batch of kolsch then I want to use the same yeast for a batch of Amber Ale. Just wondering cause that will save me some time and money.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #285
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephbrew View Post
Has anyone here has ferment a batch for 4 weeks or so and then re-use the same yeast for another batch. Re-use meaning as just pour the next brew on top of what is left in the carboy
Yep, frequently. Not a problem.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #286
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephbrew View Post
Has anyone here has ferment a batch for 4 weeks or so and then re-use the same yeast for another batch. Re-use meaning as just pour the next brew on top of what is left in the carboy or should I wash the yeast instead?.
I want to do first a batch of kolsch then I want to use the same yeast for a batch of Amber Ale. Just wondering cause that will save me some time and money.
Give this a read when you have some time...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

You'll get more opinions than you can stand, but it's worth reading to form your own opinion.

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #287
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehillbrewer View Post
Give this a read when you have some time...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

You'll get more opinions than you can stand, but it's worth reading to form your own opinion.
I dunno though, if Denny says he pitches on to yeast cakes, I wouldn't necessarily discount it.

Not many folks get a yeast named after them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #288
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I dunno though, if Denny says he pitches on to yeast cakes, I wouldn't necessarily discount it.

Not many folks get a yeast named after them.
just providing info.

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #289
rwberne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ever since reading Revvy and crew's recommendations I have skipped the secondary, and all of my brews have been great - and clear. But now I am planning to try my first lager. All I read on lagers suggest that the long cold lagering is done in a secondary - but is that because they are from the "old school", or is it because a secondary IS in fact the best bet for lagering?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #290
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwberne View Post
Ever since reading Revvy and crew's recommendations I have skipped the secondary, and all of my brews have been great - and clear. But now I am planning to try my first lager. All I read on lagers suggest that the long cold lagering is done in a secondary - but is that because they are from the "old school", or is it because a secondary IS in fact the best bet for lagering?
I kn ow a few folks have talked about lagering in primary...But on the rare lager I make I still go old school and use a carboy.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply