New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4525 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

All due respect and all but,

wasn't JZ ranting not too long ago about people NOT x-ferring? Saying that he has tasted subtle hints of autolysis in peoples beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hrm... I didn't hear that. Was it in a podcast or in a post somewhere?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4525 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
Hrm... I didn't hear that. Was it in a podcast or in a post somewhere?
You talkin to me?

Sadly, I don't remember. I don't follow JZ. And I haven't listened to a podcast on beer in a very long time.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
All due respect and all but,

wasn't JZ ranting not too long ago about people NOT x-ferring? Saying that he has tasted subtle hints of autolysis in peoples beers.
Jamil has always said that he doesn't secondary, back to his earliest appearances on the Brewing Network.
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I
prharleys Likes This 
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

FWIW, I got a gold certificate for a brown ale at the 2009 SW NHC - it was primaried for 6 weeks (no secondary)

I scored a 45.0 on a brown ale at the 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition (highest overall score for a beer) and it was primaried for 2 months (no secondary).

I mainly left them that long due to 1) laziness, and 2) confirmation that the autolysis boogey-man is a myth if you manage your fermentation properly (healthy yeast, pitch rates, proper fermentation temp, etc).

Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I did a secondary once when I first started brewing, and never have since.

Walker, I really didn't understand your justification. How does space justify doing a secondary? You could just as easily have three beers in their primary fermentation in that same space. You can also use those carboys for primaries.

Am I confused as to what you were trying to say?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Jamil has always said that he doesn't secondary, back to his earliest appearances on the Brewing Network.
Yep, and even earlier. On the MoreBeer forums there's posts from as far back as 2004 where he's talked about it.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #18
joety

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The history makes a lot of sense. I recall brewing back in the late eighties (before my fifteen year hiatus) and getting what appeared to be noticeable, although far from vigorous, fermentation upon xfering to the secondary fermenter. I would normally do this after the kreusen dropped in the garbage can style primary fermenter I was using after 4 - 5 days. After a week in secondary the bubbling (not just airlock activity but lots of tiny bubbles) would stop and I'd bottle. Hyrdrometer? We didn't need no stinkin' hydrometer. We used one kind of yeast, Red Star, and we knew the pattern. Then in about 1990 they came out with Whitbread Ale Yeast and it was like our beers improved 300%. Just like Red Star, that became our one and only yeast and it was very consistent batch to batch.

Nowadays I almost never see the bubbling when (and if) I transfer to secondary. I do manage to dislodge enough dissolved C02 to pressurize the airlock, but that's about it. And instead of 4-5 days most fermentations take only 2-3 with the use of a healthy starter made on a stir plate and injected O2.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter
doctorRobert Likes This 
Old 05-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #19
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Not racking to secondary and going with an extended primary fermentation is the number one reason my beers went from good, to great. They are more fully attenuated, clearer, cleaner and just plain better. I only use secondary to bulk age my barley wines, strong ales, strong scotch ales, imperial stouts..etc..etc.....and I am beginnig to think that bottle conditioning with added yeast may be an even better alternative.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #20
Erythro73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well, only by reading Revvy's on HBT when I started, I decided not to do secondaries for "normal" beers. I prefer to learn it that way, it's way lazier and safer. The last beer I made, I let it sit 5 weeks in primary before bottling. Still didn't taste it so I can't comment on this yet : I happened to have read Revvy's blog about patience and conditioning too. That guy is a real Yoda, full of good advices.

And I get to not use my 2.5 gallons glass carboy I bought for secondaries. I'm paranoid with glass, as I find it hazardous and this thing is the hell to use because the auto-siphon can only go straight in it, I can't put it "diagonal-style" as to pick up all the beer by lifting one side of the carboy. The height of the carboy is too small.

Quick Reply