Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Secondary Fermentation Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Seanery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation Questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to home brewing but I'm enjoying it. I just posted my introduction in the noob forum.

I've been out of town for 12 days. I brewed a 5 gallon batch clone of Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale the night before I left. It's been in a fermenting bucket inside my hall closet since. I will be home tonite. Should I do a secondary? If so, will it need any priming sugars? Should I bottle it and do the secondary in the bottle?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I would give it another week and then bottle it. It will need the standard amount of priming sugar at bottling time.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Copperpots_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Secondary fermentation has several different uses, however, it can really help with clarity of the beer. I often use the schedule of 3 weeks in primary and sometimes 2 weeks in secondary. As long as your secondary is sealed up and the air lock is full, nothing can get in, and you can condition the beer for however long your heart desires!
I don't think you should bottle it just yet, it would be way premature. My recommendation is to transfer to a secondary in a couple days and condition it for at least a week. Then priming sugar and bottle! Don't rush it, or you'll be unhappy with results.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Copperpots_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry for the double post, but I figured I should tell you, make sure your secondary is sanitized, along with any siphons or lines your beer may touch. Siphon into the secondary, avoiding excessive splashing, to avoid oxidation, and leave all of the trub (nasty goo at the bottom of your primary) behind, so all that's in the secondary is clean, clear beer!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I always follow Revvy's advice to move to a secondary when the airlock is bubbling 2-3 bubbles per minute. Bottle after two weeks in the secondary and age a minimum of 70 weeks at three degrees before drinking. Or something like that.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanery View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to home brewing but I'm enjoying it. I just posted my introduction in the noob forum.

I've been out of town for 12 days. I brewed a 5 gallon batch clone of Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale the night before I left. It's been in a fermenting bucket inside my hall closet since. I will be home tonite. Should I do a secondary? If so, will it need any priming sugars? Should I bottle it and do the secondary in the bottle?

Thanks in advance for the info!
As someone metnioned before I would let it sit one more week in primary then transfer to secondary. Let sit another week while dry hopping (assuming there are some dry hops?).

Then yes, you'll want prime the beer with sugar when you transfer to your bottling bucket. Your bottling bucket may be your primary as well? I always dump the primer in forst and then transfer the beer on top and this usually mixes well enough I don;t need to doa a gentle stir.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
i always follow revvy's advice to move to a secondary when the airlock is bubbling 2-3 bubbles per minute. Bottle after two weeks in the secondary and age a minimum of 70 weeks at three degrees before drinking. Or something like that.
nice!!!
Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I always follow Revvy's advice to move to a secondary when the airlock is bubbling 2-3 bubbles per minute. Bottle after two weeks in the secondary and age a minimum of 70 weeks at three degrees before drinking. Or something like that.
LMAO You almost got me on this one! I stopped reading after the first sentence in amazement. Then read the rest!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Assuming your hydro readings tell you it's done, then 12 days is plenty. If you can cold crash, do so and then IMO you are ready to bottle. I almost never use a secondary. And I wouldn't consider a long primary for a Pale Ale. It's best to enjoy the hops while young.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Seanery
Recipes 

I forgot, I do have a dry hop to do, so bottling is out of the question. I'll let it sit a few more days. I'm off work on Sunday so maybe I'll move it to a secondary then so I can dry hop.

My first beer I primed with honey. The recipe for this one calls for sugar, but I was thinking of doing honey again. Is this ok?

Quick Reply