Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Secondary Fermentation in Plastic?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
leyoung808
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation in Plastic?

I know that glass carboys are everyone's favorite for secondary fermentation, but is there any problem with doing so in a separate plastic bucket? I can't see there being any greater threat of contamination in this process if i'm not going to keep it in the bucket for more than a week or two.

Go Badgers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Plastic is fine to use to secondary, especially better bottles, they're perfect carboy for secondarying in. The old "glass is better than plastic" argument has long been shot down.It was never very truthful anyway, more like marketing propaganda from the glass carboy industry...Modern plastics are fine to use.

Use what you want, beer does it's own thing regardless of where you put it. It doesn't really care.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4285 Times on 3122 Posts
Likes Given: 830

The reason carboys are preferred are because they have a very narrow neck and so not much headspace. Buckets are quite wide, so they have a very big opening and so a lot of headspace.

For a week or two, it probably won't do much harm. But I'd be inclined to leave it in primary, rather than racking to another bucket.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
SouthernCross
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Though I'm hoping for *Better Bottle*s for Christmas, I use plastic ferment buckets. Have for years. I secondary everything, though that has fallen out of fashion with others here. And secondary is always in an available bucket. I use those with a bottling spigot on the bottom, as life is easier all around...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Primary 1 - Pale Ale - Hoggetown Ale Works recipe
Primary 2 -

Secondary -

Bottled - Pumpkin Ale bottled and in T-A-D
Kegged & Tapped - Over-hopped Honey Wheat, Christmas Wit
Kegged & Carbing - Steam Clone

Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
SouthernCross
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The reason carboys are preferred are because they have a very narrow neck and so not much headspace. Buckets are quite wide, so they have a very big opening and so a lot of headspace.

For a week or two, it probably won't do much harm. But I'd be inclined to leave it in primary, rather than racking to another bucket.
I so love that I learn from y'all every day. Great point, Yooper, and thank you for the info. I sometimes fail to grasp the larger view. So better bottles would be an even better investment. Mmm. Another excuse...

Primary 2 -

Secondary -

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
leyoung808
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful. What are the disadvantages to using a plastic fermenter with spigot as a secondary fermenter? At first glance it seems like this would be the best choice for convenience but I am wondering if there are some complications as far as sediment left over from things such as dry hopping and adding ingredients (as one might do in secondary fermentation). Since I am using the spigot to bottle, I would get a lot of "stuff" in my bottles right? You're welcome to tell me that this is a dumb question...

Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
SouthernCross
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No dumb question. The spigot sits high enough that rarely I ever do I bottle any detritus. It'll leave all the settled hops and accumulated trub, and a thin film of beer, and little else on bottom.

Primary 2 -

Secondary -

Quick Reply