Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Secondary Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
jingleheimer76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation?

OK, here's the situation:

Last year, I brewed a barley wine. 1 week in primary; 5 weeks in secondary. Came in at ~9.5% ABV. Bottled with some corn sugar. 6 weeks later it had ZERO carbonation (but was delicious).

I uncapped all the bottles and dropped in a couple grains of dry champagne yeast into each, and rebottled. Two weeks later, the bottles were beautifully carbonated. 5 months later the beer won awards.

Now, I have done the recipe again. I want the same deliciousness without the uncapping hassle (and without bottle bombs). So what should I do?

Just add a pack of dry champagne yeast to the bottling bucket? Add grains to each bottle as I cap? Fill me in experts . . .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am of no help, sorry. I have a ~9% ale that did not carbonate either. Roughly how much yeast would you say you used per bottle? And does it have to be champagne yeast? I have some US-05 sitting around.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
jingleheimer76
Recipes 

Default just a couple grains.

I just dumped out the champagne yeast on a clean plate and picked up about 2 grains (maybe 3 or 4 for the bombers in the batch). At that much alcohol, I wasn't too worried about contamination. It wasn't y'know - scientific.

I don't know if it needs to be champagne yeast, but that is probably better at high alcohol. Since it is the secondary yeast, it probably won't contribute much to beer flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerist View Post
I am of no help, sorry. I have a ~9% ale that did not carbonate either. Roughly how much yeast would you say you used per bottle? And does it have to be champagne yeast? I have some US-05 sitting around.

Quick Reply