Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Secondary Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
craigsphillips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation

I have a 5gal batch winding down in my primary fermenter and was considering doing a secondary fermentation. I've never done it before and wanted to ask some advice of those who might use this technique. First, so you know, I am using 6.5gal buckets for both my primary and secondary fermenter.
1. Is it as simple as rack the beer off the yeast in the primary to secondary, close the lid, and put an airlock on the secondary fermenter?
2. Is any more yeast added to the beer at this point?
3. Will I continue to see bubbling through the airlock during the secondary fermentation?
4. Anyone know of a good How-To to look at on the internet for this technique?

Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottled: Kona's Pale Ale (Style: American Pale Ale, OG: 1.057, FG: 1.014, SRM: 12.1, IBUs: 38.8, ABV: 5.61%)
Kegged: Clouded Mind Wheat (Style: American Wheat, OG: 1.058, FG: 1.016, SRM: 7.7, IBUs: 18.5, ABV: 5.48%)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Secondary fermentation is a misnomer, unless you are actually adding fermentable sugars. Instead it's nothing more than a bulk aging vessel/bright tank. Sometimes, a secondary vessel is also used for dry hopping or fining the beer, although this can be done in the primary as well.

In my opinion, doing a secondary is not necessary for most beer styles, but if you want to do it, just rack your beer off the yeast into the sanitized secondary, put on an airlock, and let it sit, preferably at a cool temperature (or cold, if you are lagering your beer). Before racking, make sure that the beer has attenuated fully - give it a few days after you reach final gravity and there is no more activity.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 05-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
dford
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Secondary fermentation is a misnomer, unless you are actually adding fermentable sugars. Instead it's nothing more than a bulk aging vessel/bright tank. Sometimes, a secondary vessel is also used for dry hopping or fining the beer, although this can be done in the primary as well.

In my opinion, doing a secondary is not necessary for most beer styles, but if you want to do it, just rack your beer off the yeast into the sanitized secondary, put on an airlock, and let it sit, preferably at a cool temperature (or cold, if you are lagering your beer). Before racking, make sure that the beer has attenuated fully - give it a few days after you reach final gravity and there is no more activity.
I agree its probaly not necessary for most beer styles but I always use a secondary for all my homebrew

Quick Reply