Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Second vial for my trippel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
BrewPounder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Second vial for my trippel?

I'm pretty new to brewing, done a couple kits before, just started my first custom recepie. I was wondering if I should ad another vial of Trappist yeast to my batch.

Info:
In primary since March 10
OG 1.070
It's been at 70 degrees for the most part but I just checked and it's now at 77 bubbleing away at about 110 clicks a minute.
Fermentables are as follows:
6.6 lbs wheat LME
3 lbs Light Pilsen DME
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar
4 oz Aromatic Specialty Grain (steeped)

I'm not sure that hops matter for this but I have:
1 oz Saaz (bittering)
1 oz Tet (flavoring)
1 oz Hal (aroma)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

did you do a starter or just throw the vial in? technically if you didn't then you should use 2 vials.. it really isnt' very cost effective to use anything other than dry yeast if you don't make starters..

since it is bubbling away you could just let it ride and see what the FG is in like 2 weeks

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
BrewPounder
Recipes 

I did not do a starter, I was thinking that I'd throw another vial in by the weekend.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
WVBeerBaron
Recipes 

Throw it in now! Even 2 vials is not really enough yeast for 1070 OG. Will it ferment? yes, but it could be better beer with proper pitching rates. I would make a minimum 2 qt starter or use 3+ vials for an OG of 1055 or higher.

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I did a tripel recently and only used one pack of T-58 dry yeast that had been rehydrated and got an ABV of 8.2% which is around what it should be. OG was 1.078, not sure what to tell you about the liquid yeast other than you either need a starter or you pitch double the amount when using it which I never use, i'm a dry yeast easy peasy guy.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

You mentioned Trappist yeast? What kind? Wyeast High gravity 3787 is what I used in my Dubbel and I had to make a 2-step starter with my smack pack to get the proper pitching rate for a 1.067 OG Dubbel.

Sounds like you under-pitched by at least 50-75%. One thing though, if you under-pitch you will get more of the banana/clove flavors from the Trappist yeast which can actually be desirable in a Belgian style.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
BrewPounder
Recipes 

I used White Labs Trappist. Thanks for the info. I think I'm gunna throw one more in asap. I figure if that's still under pitched than I'd end up with a dubbel with the bannana/clove flavor that was mentioned.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Don't waste another vial of yeast! If it's already fermenting like crazy then the yeast has already propogated to a high enough population to ferment the beer and the damage from underpitching is already done. All of the yeast you add would probably die from the shock of abruptly entering such a different environment than what it is used to. Even if it did live it would only be a drop in the bucket compared to the yeast population that's already in there.

Couple of other things: Your recipe doesn't really look like a tripel per se. They don't have wheat or dark candi sugar. But, it does look delicious and that's all that matters!

Also, you should drastically reduce your fermentation temperature. 77 is WAY too hot during the high point of fermenation. It will result in fusel alcohols and weird off flavors. I would probably pitch around 65-68, then after high krausen raise the temp about 1 degree per day for about a week.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
BrewPounder
Recipes 

Alrighty. I will continue on with the yeast thats in it. As far as temperature, its been a steady 70 since Sunday and decided to jump up today. I turned the thermostat down before I left for work, if it's still high when I get home I will pit a fan on it or something.

As far as style, my intention is to create a wheat/trippel hybrid. I could have sworn candi or beet sugar was a signature component of trippels, maybe thats just light though. Like you said, I'm not too hung up on it as long as it taste good. I also hope to end up with an ABV of a least 5.9%

Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewPounder View Post
Alrighty. I will continue on with the yeast thats in it. As far as temperature, its been a steady 70 since Sunday and decided to jump up today. I turned the thermostat down before I left for work, if it's still high when I get home I will pit a fan on it or something.

As far as style, my intention is to create a wheat/trippel hybrid. I could have sworn candi or beet sugar was a signature component of trippels, maybe thats just light though. Like you said, I'm not too hung up on it as long as it taste good. I also hope to end up with an ABV of a least 5.9%
if your OG was 1.070 you should end up closer to 8% ABV with a Trappist yeast. Belgians are supposed to finish dry. My Dubbel started at 1.067 and finished at 1.010! 7.6% abv! The Candi sugar will ferment out completely which dries it out and boosts the alcohol, that's the point of the sugar as a fermentable.

Putting your fermenter in a water bath can help drop the temp and keep it stable. Otherwise you can cover the fermenter with damp towels and put a fan on it...the towels will pull heat away as they dry.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply