Second krausen in hefe - bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustcallmeMrT

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed a hefeweizen using extract and specialty grains on April 16. I had an OG of 1.047 and pitched the wyeast 3068 at 71F and kept the fermentation at those temps for a week - it was going like crazy! This weekend I brought the ferm bucket down into the basement, swirled it slightly to rouse the yeast a bit and ensure things had fermented out, and left it cool to 57F. I was hoping to bottle tonight, so I checked the FG yesterday, and it is down to 1.012, which is right on target according to Hopville, but it seems like there is still a krausen on the top of the beer! I've never used this yeast before, and this is only my fourth brew, so I have no idea what to make of this all. I tasted the FG sample and it was great. Is fermentation done? Do I wait, or rack and bottle? What's up with my beer? Any help or comments would be great!

To verify the fermentation is done you need to take samples once per day for 3 days and if unchanged it is done.

However, 3068 is a very aggressive yeast but also very slow to flocculate or drop out of suspension and very rarely will totally drop out, that is why wheat/Weizen beers always appear cloudy. I leave my Hefes in the primary for at least 3 weeks to get as much yeast to drop as possible. If you can cold crash for several days that helps too.

IMO I would wait another week or two before doing anything, then bottle.

Back