Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Scottish Ale Yeast Starter Wyeast 1728

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
khillian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Scottish Ale Yeast Starter Wyeast 1728

Hey Homebrewers,

I am brewing a Wee Heavy this Saturday OG 1.081 5 Gallon batch, I picked up one vial of Scottish Ale 1728 which had a of date November 15th 2012. I first used Mr Malty and it recommended a 2.54 liter starter with stir plate. I only have a 2 liter flask, so I grew the starter from Sunday night to Wednesday then shut off the stir plate and put the flask in the fridge covered with foil.

Just found out about http://www.yeastcalc.com, according to its calculations I need around 290 Billion cells for this beer but my 2 liter starter only grew around 264 Billion cells. This tool allows you to step up a starter, but at this point I could decant and feed it another 1 liter of new starter wort to get 388 Billion cells which would be over pitching by 100 Billion.

What do yall think I should do? Leave the 2 liter starter decant and pitch around 30 billion short? Or Step down the starter from 2 liters to 1 liter (which for some reason sounds like a bad idea but I do not know why).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

At this point, you really don't have time to do another starter step. Unless you delay your brew day by a day, or two. I would just cold crash the starter, once finished, for a day (24 hours), decant, let it get to room temp, and pitch the slurry. You're within 10% of the target amount, so you should be fine. Just oxygenate the beer wort really well before you pitch the yeast slurry.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by khillian View Post
Hey Homebrewers,

I am brewing a Wee Heavy this Saturday OG 1.081 5 Gallon batch, I picked up one vial of Scottish Ale 1728 which had a of date November 15th 2012. I first used Mr Malty and it recommended a 2.54 liter starter with stir plate. I only have a 2 liter flask, so I grew the starter from Sunday night to Wednesday then shut off the stir plate and put the flask in the fridge covered with foil.

Just found out about http://www.yeastcalc.com, according to its calculations I need around 290 Billion cells for this beer but my 2 liter starter only grew around 264 Billion cells. This tool allows you to step up a starter, but at this point I could decant and feed it another 1 liter of new starter wort to get 388 Billion cells which would be over pitching by 100 Billion.

What do yall think I should do? Leave the 2 liter starter decant and pitch around 30 billion short? Or Step down the starter from 2 liters to 1 liter (which for some reason sounds like a bad idea but I do not know why).
You would be probably be okay with a slight underpitch as the poster above suggested. If you want to pitch the right number, step up your starter. There's no rule that you have to use 1 litre exactly and end up with an overpitch. Use half a litre or whatever yeastcalc.com says will get you to your target cell count.

You can make a small starter tonight then pitch the whole thing tomorrow at high krausen and things will be perfect. With a starter that small (a litre or less), you don't need to worry about chilling and decanting. Pitch it 12 or 18 hours after you make it and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply