Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saving a yeast cake.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Finnagann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saving a yeast cake.

I saved the yeast cake (about half of it) from a pilsner K & B and its sitting in a 1 gal jug with an airlock atm. It's the kit yeast from Coopers International Pilsner, which is rumoured to be saflager S189. I like this yeast because I can ferrment at the high end of lager range and it stays clean, also doesn't produce much of a sulferous odour (important as my bedroom is where I ferment )

I haven't played with yeast much and I'm wondering what the best course of action is. Should I wash it a few times with boiled/cooled water and then just pitch about half for my next batch? Am I better to use the yeast from the bottles than the yeast from the primary if I'm not pitching directly onto the cake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

use the yeast from the primary, its the most flocculating of the yeast you used. wash the yeast before using.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply