The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saving leftover liquid yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Keither
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Saving leftover liquid yeast?

Hi guys. I'm relatively new to brewing and still trying to avoid silly mistakes.

My friend gave me a smack-pack of wyeast belgian stout yeast. I am making some stout, so I thought I'd use it. The trouble, I just realised, is that the smack-pack is good for 5 gallons and I am only making two gallons in my little fermenter.

If I pitch half of the yeast, is there a way to save the rest until I have time to brew again? I have two fermenters. I can't do them both at once because I used all my pots. I'm brewing with all grain in an apartment. 2 gallons at a time is all I can do.

P.S. I already "smacked" it! Time is of the essence!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What's the OG on the stout and what is the date on the smack pack. depending on these you might need the entire pack.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Keither
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

woah, I don't know. I haven't learned to check out the gravity of wort yet. I'm not sure I will, either. I'm too lazy. I hope no-one thinks I'm being unfaithful to beer, but I am steering clear of the science stuff and just keeping notes of what I did, and whether the beer was any good or not. So far, all the beer has been good, but I don't know how much alcohol it has or anything like that.

I just pitched a package of dried yeast to be on the safe side. The smack pack wasn't showing any signs of life five hours after I smacked it. If it inflates sometime in the next few days I will make another batch of beer on Sunday. Maybe I will pitch the whole thing then. Is there a negative consequence from pitching twice as much yeast as necessary? I mean, it multiplies in the beer anyway right?

I figured after spending five hours making the wort, I'm not into experimenting with funky yeast. But I would like to not waste it.

Quick Reply