Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saved yeast from primary- Just dump into new brew or use starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Saved yeast from primary- Just dump into new brew or use starter?

I have never re-used my yeast before and I wanted to try it out.. I have a Wyeast 1056 cake that I used in an IPA the other day. On Friday, I racked to 2ndary and dumped the dregs from the primary into a sanitized growler and put into the fridge. I am making a new beer this sunday and was wondering if I can just dump the whole works into the new beer or if I should use it to create a starter and dump that in the beer? Thanks!

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If it's been a few days I would say go ahead and just pitch. But if it is weeks or months in storage, I would make a starter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Pitching the whole cake is way in excess of what you need. If you look at Mr. Malty's piching rate calculator I think you need about 2 cups of a thin slurry. Either way I'm sure it'll make beer.

Bull

Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
Pitching the whole cake is way in excess of what you need. If you look at Mr. Malty's piching rate calculator I think you need about 2 cups of a thin slurry. Either way I'm sure it'll make beer.

Bull
The amount you want to use will depend on the OG of your second beer, but 2 cups would work well for most beers.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
UnDeadly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I regularly recycle my yeast in just that way, with no problems. I just use Ball jars and usually fill one up after the primary, then chuck it in the fridge. For the next batch that has similar characteristics, I just let it warm to room temperature before pitching, and can't say I have had any off-flavors. I currently have a dark/low hop, light/high hop, and high abv strains going that always seem to do the trick for any basic ale I am doing.

Quick Reply