Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saved Yeast Cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
wrestler63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saved Yeast Cake

Well, I tried alot of new things this weekend. 1st off, I used a saved yeast cake from an IIPA I racked to secondary a week ago. When I racked I just put the free floating yeast cake in a 2 qt container with an airliock and put it in the coldest corner of the basement. Yesterday I drained off the beer on top and filled jar with a real wort starter from my 1st no chill batch I did. 6 hrs later this thing is going nuts so I pitch it into my no chill batch......another 5 hrs later and holy hell, what a fermentation. I hope this turns out. As of this morning, we have quite a blow off happening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
wrestler63
Recipes 

This bad boy has been going hard for 48 hrs. Krausen now falling back into beer and fermentation starting to slow. The first 24 hrs were insane. Never saw such large yeast pieces swimming around like that. Fementation will be done in another 24 hrs I suspect.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
cappy
Recipes 

I'm hoping to pitch onto a cake for the first time this week. I hope mine is as exciting as yours!

cappy

Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
wrestler63
Recipes 

Now that yeast is starting to settle I am noticing the viable yeast on top looks like pellets or small globs. Is that just the growth of the yeast here?
Should I pour off the healthy yeast again and split into 4 or 5 smaller sanitized jars?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
wrestler63
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler63 View Post
Now that yeast is starting to settle I am noticing the viable yeast on top looks like pellets or small globs. Is that just the growth of the yeast here?
Should I pour off the healthy yeast again and split into 4 or 5 smaller sanitized jars?
well, no answers on this so, I am gonna try it and see what I get. Changed out the water in the blow off twice during the first 3 days and yesterday it calmed down to the point were I replaced the blow off with an airlock. Still popping pretty good.
Cheers

Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
BigJay13
Recipes 

I would say that you could do that if the yeast was used to a "milder" beer like a pale or brown ale. Jamil mentions in his IIPA show that you shouldn't reuse yeast from a IIPA batch because the hop polyphenols and oils adhere to the cell wall of the yeast coating them. This reduces the amount of nutrients and sugars the yeasts can pass through the wall and the membrane into the cell. However, it looks as though yours are healthy so why not reuse it? What kind of yeast was it?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The "rule of thumb" is don't reuse a yeast cake if OG is higher than 1.60...

Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
kennymae
Recipes 

Default Lazy Pitch

I was feeling a little lazy last fall and decided to directly re-use a week old yeast cake left over from a secondary. There was about 1/4" of beer covering the cake and it had been sitting at about 60F in my basement, with an airlock, kept sanitary since siphoning & bottling the previous batch. I had planned on washing & harvesting, but laziness won the day.

The following week I dumped the cooled wort from the next batch directly onto the cake and fermentation took off within hours. Since it was a secondary cake, there was apparently no trub on the bottom and it looked like 1" of pure yeast.

The cake was a Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale. The 2nd batch was great and worked so well that I tried it again with a Pacman secondary cake, but that batch is still conditioning so I don't have any feedback yet.

Happy culturing,

Kenny

Tell them we are mighty yam growers!
-New Guinea tribal elder

Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
The "rule of thumb" is don't reuse a yeast cake if OG is higher than 1.60...
How strict is this rule? I have a pale ale that im racking off tomorrow because i wanted to use the cake for a barley wine. But, the OG was 1.062. Could i get away with this?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

High levels of alpha acids and alcohol can greatly affect the viability of yeast. I'm not saying it can't be done because nobody can tell you that when it comes to brewing. But why take a chance when you have so much time and money invested into a batch of beer? Get yourself a new pitch of yeast and build a starter.

Quick Reply