Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > saison yeast temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
KuntzBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default saison yeast temps

I know Saisons are supposed to ferment warm 80-90s but will this produce hot alcohol flavors like other yeasts will at that temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I use WLP566 at 77°F. Yes, hotter will produce more fusal alcohols. It's a balancing act. Some trapist brewers to let it get that hot and make a great product.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 518 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Yes saison yeasts can produce fusels. Some are more prone to producing fusels than othhers. One way to get the best of both worlds is to pitch at the low end of the recommended temp range for the yeast and then ramp it up slowly after fermentation starts.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

I'm doing a big (1.074) saison now. Been in their fermenter since Saturday night (march 9). I'm using wy3724 which I didn't realize but is notorious. Read about it on thier site they say a vigorous start then dies at 1.035. Range is 70-95 (yes) and they say you have to get it up to 90 to finish. I have it in a bucket in a swamp cooler with aquarium heater. Started the temp off at 74, then bumped to 78 today. Not a vigorous start at all, didn't even need a blowoff it turns out, but its still going. Will keep posted this one should be interesting.

On Deck: Helles, 4-Way IIPA (Lagunitas Sucks clone)
Primary:
Secondary: Kate The Great, Maibock, Wee Heavy
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Jlaw3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I'm doing a big (1.074) saison now. Been in their fermenter since Saturday night (march 9). I'm using wy3724 which I didn't realize but is notorious. Read about it on thier site they say a vigorous start then dies at 1.035. Range is 70-95 (yes) and they say you have to get it up to 90 to finish. I have it in a bucket in a swamp cooler with aquarium heater. Started the temp off at 74, then bumped to 78 today. Not a vigorous start at all, didn't even need a blowoff it turns out, but its still going. Will keep posted this one should be interesting.
Sounds like we have a very similar brew going. although I'm using a heat pad/sleeping bag method. I started mine at 72 and have been ramping steadily since. Im up to 81 now (9* over 72 hours). Mine however did go crazy the first 24 blow off and all. Still activley churning but only bubbling once every 10 seconds or so. Plan on going up to 85 over the next few days and finishing off back down in the 70*s if i make it well past the dreaded 1.035.

Keep us posted on how it goes, it always great to read actual experience and methods!

on http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sai...e-temp-396721/

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Checked this am still bubbling airlock, not vigorous but solid. Won't be able I check it for the next three days, water temp at 84 this am, bumped it about 3 more degrees. This Saturday ill bring it up over 90 for a few days.

Primary:

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well the water bath is up around 93 degrees and on day 9, still getting bubbles every ten Seconds or so in the airlock so it's still doing it's thing. I will probably see if it is not bubbling anymore by Sunday I'll take a reading

Primary:

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Thorpe429
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I recently did a saison experiment, brewing enough to put about .75 gallons of the base beer into 9 separate gallon jugs. More on the recipe here:

http://spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com/...ur-recipe.html

As part of the process, I created a spreadsheet that shows the temperature overlaps of each strain based on WL and WY recommendations. That's on Google Docs here (the ranges for the commercial dregs I cultured are mostly guesswork):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7K3...xiSnRnWjQ/edit

I fermented each at 70 F for this round. Soon enough, I plan to do the same thing at 75 F. For those that turn out well there, I'll bump again and try 80 F.

I'll eventually post my tasting experiences at each temperature. I'm looking forward to trying out the first round.

Blog: http://spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com/
Untappd: https://untappd.com/ambrosiaales
tgmartin000 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've fermented up into the mid-80's with 3711 and my Saison's have been very clean! Saison yeasts truly are a totally different animal...

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDan
I've fermented up into the mid-80's with 3711 and my Saison's have been very clean! Saison yeasts truly are a totally different animal...
My first one, But it looks like 3724 is even a lot different than 3711. 3724 says that after it stalls you need to get above 90° up to about 95 for it to truly finish. That's crazy! The beer that that I'm doing is a boulevard tank seven clone or pseudo-clone.

Primary:

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply