Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saison primary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Grinnan5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Saison primary fermentation

I was thumbing through an older issue of Zymurgy that was talking about placing a sanitized piece of foil over the carboy for primary fermentation when making a saison as the yeast strain doesn't like high pressure.

Has anyone every done this? Or reversely, has anyone used a standard airlock when making a saison and with what result? If it will come out OK with an airlock I would prefer this method as I don't necessarily trust a piece of foil to stay on my carboy for 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've only ever used an airlock with the saison strains. Turned out fine. Rouse and degas everyday until you hit your target FG. 3724 likes to get stuck. 3711 however likes low temps and ferments out fine without any special care.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Mk010101
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use a piece of foil on every brew. That is until the krausen starts to drop. Then I replace it with an airlock. I also keep it out of the way of people/pets, so as not to disturb it either, especially when it only has a piece of foil on top. Never had any problems doing it this way, so if you choose this path, I am sure you'll be fine.

Output 2012: 56 gallons
Goal 2012: 120 gallons

Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I can't imagine it takes very much pressure to push a bubble out of the airlock.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I can't imagine it takes very much pressure to push a bubble out of the airlock.
You might be surprised. If you've tried to make a still wine, an airlock is a very bad thing. The pressure on the airlock is equal to the pressure on the wine/beer/whatever. Some of the CO2 will inevitably be reabsorbed into the liquid.

Whether or not that's enough to hurt beer is a different issue, but I would argue any amount of CO2 in solution will negatively impact fermentation, so anything that decreases CO2 in solution is good.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
You might be surprised. If you've tried to make a still wine, an airlock is a very bad thing. The pressure on the airlock is equal to the pressure on the wine/beer/whatever. Some of the CO2 will inevitably be reabsorbed into the liquid.

Whether or not that's enough to hurt beer is a different issue, but I would argue any amount of CO2 in solution will negatively impact fermentation, so anything that decreases CO2 in solution is good.
Interesting.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply