Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saison plus extra sugar ... what should I do next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
jambafish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Saison plus extra sugar ... what should I do next?

I just brewed the Petite Saison d'Ete NorthernBrewer Extract Kit with Wyeast French Saison #3711.

Couple of things I did and want to do, but I'm really second guessing whether my monkeying around will be the downfall of this beer?

1. I decided on a whim to add 1/4 cup of Clear Candi Syrup 1# to the brew along my malt addition.
3. Now I'm thinking that was a mistake. I've never heard such action in a carboy before now. With all that extra sugar I'm wondering if I should perhaps pitch extra yeast (White Labs WLP351 Bavarian Weizen or champagne yeast) just to dry it out?

OG1052.

Any ideas on how the addition (candi) will transform this beer? Any ideas on whether I should add another yeast to dry it out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't do anything, it will be fine. As long as you leave it like it is the yeasties will do their job and should ferment it pretty dry. Last Saison I did was left in the primary for 3 weeks, finished at 1.004 and was crystal clear.

Do not add any additional yeast or ingredients! Saison's get their character from the yeast and 3711 is a monster of a yeast and should plow through what you have with no issue.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think there's a better yeast to add, if 3711 can't chew it up you're in trouble, and a couple tablespoons of Candi isn't going to make or break your saison.

Sit back and forget about it for a month, it'll be just fine.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
BtotheG
Recipes 

I'm interested to see how your attenuation turns out with all extract. I've used 3711 for late addition PM batches and it's never had a problem drying out the beer. I find that with 3711 the problem becomes too much attenuation (which isn't a terrible problem to have by any means). By default I always assume that it will finish at at least 1.006 and normally lower. I'm more concerned with adding too much fermentable sugar and making a hot boozy beer. I don't think you'll have that problem in this case at all though. It'll be a good beer.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
jambafish
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it as is then. I was also afraid of the ale being too hot, but I guess we'll see about that.

My hope was to crank it a little, but it was all so completely unscientific.

I'll report back. Right now I can say that it's bubbling and gurgling more than any beer I've brewed. I mean those little guys are going to town, and I'm sure the extra sugar is helping. It's doubtful that I'd be bottling in two weeks, but there's a lot of trube and I want to get it off of that before it picks up too much of the hops.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambafish View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it as is then. I was also afraid of the ale being too hot, but I guess we'll see about that.

My hope was to crank it a little, but it was all so completely unscientific.

I'll report back. Right now I can say that it's bubbling and gurgling more than any beer I've brewed. I mean those little guys are going to town, and I'm sure the extra sugar is helping. It's doubtful that I'd be bottling in two weeks, but there's a lot of trube and I want to get it off of that before it picks up too much of the hops.
It should be fine, as others have said 3711 will eat everything in its' path. Do you have brewing software, if not you can plug in your recipe specs here http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe then add your candi syrup/sugar addition and it'll give you a ballpark idea of how much you've increased your potential ABV, etc from the original recipe kit.

And don't get too anxious about racking it to get it off the trub, you can let it sit in primary for a few weeks while the yeast do their thing.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambafish View Post
there's a lot of trube and I want to get it off of that before it picks up too much of the hops.
Don't touch it for at least 3 weeks. Let the yeast do it's job. If you rush it it may not clear well. Just put it in a closet and brew another batch.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
jambafish
Recipes 

Late late night I heard the yeast slooooow down. It's barely a bubble now and again after serious work. What do we think about gently moving them around in a couple of days to see if anyone is hungry and trapped under the trube rubble?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i would leave it be... there are still tons of yeast in suspension. it will be best to just leave it sit for a full 3-4 weeks before doing anything.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Ditto that. While some Saison yeast strains (Dupont) need to be roused or gradually warmed for full attenuation, 3711 will keep working without any encouragement, no need to slosh it around. Leave it for a few weeks, and I'll wager that it'll finish out nicely around 1.005~1.008.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply