New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saison infected my equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
eastoak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo2000 View Post
Ok, my issue is pretty much all my beers for months now taste fine after a couple weeks in the bottle but gradually get more dry, tart and carbonated to the point of being undrinkable. I have made saisons (that came out fine) with this equipment and I've heard of that causing problems so maybe I just need to replace all my plastic? Is it likely that thinks like my autosiphon would house whatever funk is causing this?

One of the tell tale indicators I've noticed is that all of the "infected" bottles have a film (yeast?) on the sides of the bottle after conditioning instead of just at the bottom. I've also noticed that if I let the bottles sit long enough that some will develop a little mini krausen line.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

ETA: Maybe not a saison problem. I am pretty careful about sanitation though and this has been a consistent issue for at least 5 batches now. That's what leads me to think that my equipment may be carrying something.
go ahead and spend a day washing and sanitizing all of your gear. i don't like using bleach but i have and it works well when properly diluted. my favorite sanitizer is star san, it will kill bugs, yeast and is no rinse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnv View Post
So in the case Saison, you are dealing with one or more strains of yeast and likely two strains of bacteria.
the vast majority of saisons - 90%, maybe more - are made with a single strain of yeast. that yeast is a saccharomyces cerevisiae - regular brewing yeast (like other strains of sacch, saison yeasts have been bred for certain flavor characteristics). a minority of saisons also use brett, and even less use bugs or brett only.

perhaps you are confused with lambics or flanders reds? those can contain several strains of yeast, and several strains of brett, and lacto & pedio. but not saisons.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply