Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saison fermentation time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
ChessRockwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442 View Post
Many people have reported good success with wrapping the fermentor in an electric blanket, or creating a water bath and heating that with an aquarium heater.
+1
The electric blanket is the better of the two if you want to get real warm. I got one for like $25 on clearance at walmart at the beginning of summer, and it's worked great. My aquarium heater is ok but can only get the water bath up to 75 or so, depending on ambient temp, and of course there's better aquarium heaters you could try...
"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I wrapped my Saison in black plastic and left it outside in 95 degree heat. It fermented happily at 100 degrees

Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I used 3724 should have made a starter, but ramped it up to from 65 to 105+ over a month. I had two aquarium heaters laying around and used both in the bucket. I definatly want to try again with a proper starter. I could only get it down to .010 which wasnt it dry enough but works for the recipe

forumrunner_20120919_002736.jpg

Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
mcmillb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

What kind of temperatures does an electric blanket get up to, and, what would that translate to in a plastic bucket fermenter? What about a heating pad or an electric aquarium option?

Just curious if there's a big temp swing: e.g., the heater of choice goes to 95 degrees, but, the bucket absorbs / deflects part of that (it's pretty thick), so, it only goes up to 85 or something...

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS