Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safeale S-04 yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Safeale S-04 yeast

I pitched the yeast on Saturday and had a vigorous fermentation for 72 hours. Now everything stopped and trub settled down to the bottom of carboy. Beer cleared and has got a beautiful golden color.

Is it possible that fermentation is done so fast? I heard that S-04 in general is a fast yeast, but still.....

I have to say that I pitched 1.5 packs of dry yeast to 5 gallon, so I was a little afrait that I might over pitched.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, if your O.G. was 1.050, you over-pitched by about 50%. If you didn't re-hydrate though, you should be fine because half the yeast would be killed off. 16 grams of dry yeast is about enough for a strong ale at 1.080 O.G. You need a higher attenuating yeast at that gravity.

That said, 72 hours sounds about right for s-04. It's the fastest yeast I've ever used. I'd keep it warm at about 70-72 F, and take a hydrometer reading after a week or two. If it tastes under-attenuated, buttery or green appley, I'd keep it warm, and gently rouse the yeast by turning the fermenter.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prionburger View Post
Yep, if your O.G. was 1.050, you over-pitched by about 50%. If you didn't re-hydrate though, you should be fine because half the yeast would be killed off. 16 grams of dry yeast is about enough for a strong ale at 1.080 O.G. You need a higher attenuating yeast at that gravity.

That said, 72 hours sounds about right for s-04. It's the fastest yeast I've ever used. I'd keep it warm at about 70-72 F, and take a hydrometer reading after a week or two. If it tastes under-attenuated, buttery or green appley, I'd keep it warm, and gently rouse the yeast by turning the fermenter.
my OG was very low and under my expectations (1.032), but I boosted the wort with 20 oz of sugar just before I pitched the yeast, so I probably got them a bit more busy with this additional sugar.....

Old 11-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

72hrs is about right for that yeast. My last fermentation with that yeast was over at around the 72hr mark with the temp at 65.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
mike1978
Recipes 

I made a IPA last month with that same yeast and it was extremley violent, i had to pop off my airlock and make a blow off tube before my lid blew off. This only lasted around 72 hours as well. I tried rousing the yeast by bringing up the temp to around 75 degrees, and swirling gentley, but nothing brought the FG down. I proofed the yeast in 100 degree water for 30 min before i pitched, which may be why it was so active at first. My final reading was 1.020 which was a little high for that batch, but not by much. It looked good, smelled good, and tasted good, so i bottled it after two weeks in the secondary. I report back on how it comes out. CHEERS!

Fermentation temp-72 degrees

Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just did a ESB with that yeast and it appears to have finished in 72ish hours as well. Started fast and strong and ended just as fast. My only concern is that the ambient temp in my fermentation room (read basement) dropped to 57-58. Should I be worried?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBonger View Post
I just did a ESB with that yeast and it appears to have finished in 72ish hours as well. Started fast and strong and ended just as fast. My only concern is that the ambient temp in my fermentation room (read basement) dropped to 57-58. Should I be worried?
it is really too low. I think fermentis recommends at least 60 F for successful fermentation.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I usually let my fermenter warm up after about 5 days of fermenting low. I'll pull it out to room temp for another week or 2. The gravity will continue to drop, but I feel safe that it will not pick up esters. I had a stout that fermented quickly with S04. Its an awesome yeast.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
it is really too low. I think fermentis recommends at least 60 F for successful fermentation.
I read that too which is why I started panicking... The temp didn't drop until the 4th day and I "think" it was mostly done with fermentation anyway. To be safe, I'll try and warm it up with the 'ol bucket of water and aquarium heater trick and see what happens...

Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
RootsUltimate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1978 View Post
I made a IPA last month with that same yeast and it was extremley violent, i had to pop off my airlock and make a blow off tube before my lid blew off. This only lasted around 72 hours as well.

Fermentation temp-72 degrees
Did the same thing (except for proofing) on my Rye Ale with SafBrew T-58. Lost about 1/4 gallon to blow off.

Hoping it comes out good but I plan to leave it in for a full 2 weeks to settle out.

Quick Reply