safbrew wb-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beargrylls

Reaction score
I just pitched my rehydrated wb-06 into my partial mash witbier with an OG of 1.56. It's sitting at 65 degrees right now. What is a good temperature for this yeast? I added alot of coriander and fresh orange peel, so i'm not looking for much banana flavor contribution from the yeast.

Keep your temp down with this yeast if you want to keep the banana down to a minimum and want to avoid the bubblegum flavor it can produce. 60-65 works well. The colder the better. The higher the temp gets the more the the gorilla bait and bubble gum come out. If you repeat this one try the S-33 instead. It is really nice in a wit.

Definitely keep the temp in the low 60's! I used this yeast last year and accidentally let it get to about 70-72F and got fusels...after a couple beers it would give me a headache.

ok i have another question. it has been about 4 days and the ferm temp is still around 64. Should I raise my ferm temp soon to help with attenuation? (I added a pound of honey to the recipe, OG was about 1.056)

See im trying to do a similar wheat.. But i droppin the orange peel in lieu of banana.. Going to sit the temp of yeast at about 26-28deg c and see how it rolls... I want a slight banana taste to hang on your tongue....trick is not to make too strong... Might get messy otherwise..

I would try to keep it in the low 60's as well. With the WB-06, you're dealing with more of a German Weizen yeast and not so much a Belgian Wit yeast. This yeast will be producing more clove and banana. I'm with Toga on this one, next time if you really need to use dry yeast, try the T-58 or the S-33. If you really want a good witbier, I would try to get your hands on the White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast or 410, you'll get a great wit using either of those.

Well.. All done. Kept at 25-26deg c... Even added 3 mid size bananas... Yum. Time to force carb... Ended up being about 6.5%. taste tests very rewarding!

nice. mine's 6.0%. you put bananas in? like mashed up?
i just took a FG reading tonight (1.010) and it tastes pretty good. i got almost no banana at 64-66* F.

its pretty neutral as far as i can tell. its only my second brew and my first was with nottingham at 72 and that one was less clean tasting. It is a tiny bit spicy but I put alot of coriander in this one so i dont know if its from that or the yeast. i'm glad i saved this yeast cake, definitely gonna use it again

This is my go to yeast for an american rye I make that my wife absolutely loves. The grain bill is more or less 40% 2 row with the remaining 60% evenly split rye malt and wheat malt. I go for about 25-30 IBUs. I use WB-06 and set my temp controller at 62F. Per the sticky thermometer on my betterbottle, the beer temp hovers in the 64-ish range. It produces a clean-tasting ferment for me in that range. It's real similar, maybe not quite as "clean" to the White Labs 320, American Hefe. I like the WB-06 because for the price and profile, I just rehydrate. No starter needed.

Back