Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safbrew W-06

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
jlpred55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFallopian

Interesting - others on here have recommended using S-33 for a Wit, despite it being the old EDME strain. What would you recommend doing with this yeast then?

I also have some T-58 lying around, which others have recommended using for a Belgian Ale. What are your thoughts on that yeast?
I'd recommend throwing it in the trash. It isn't great yeast. The only time I had it where it was passable was a cream ale. And I cannot believe others have said it is a Belgian yeast. I guess advice is just that. Ive actually used it and I'm very skeptical of others who say they have and it resembled anything close to a wit yeast. T-58 is indeed more Belgian. And I've not used that, I've tasted beers with it both commercially and homebrew, and I thought it was good. But I won't give any advice on that since I've personally not used it.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
slow_boat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had good results with W-06; fermented at 64, cold crashed, and secondary for two weeks. Some clove, little banana flavor. I'd say it's a more traditional Heffe. I have not had great luck with T-58, fermented too high and yielded some sulfur flavors, but I've been told it is more Belgian wit-like.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
MikeFallopian
Recipes 

I had some interesting outcomes from the WB-06 yeast...

At bottling it tasted very hefe-like with lots of clove and banana. The first few bottles were the same, and then it became more bubblegum-like and quite unenjoyable as that flavour was so pronounced.

I left them for a while (about two months) and decided to sample one tonight - the bubblegum has subsided and it now tastes like a wit-hefe hybrid with subtle banana, some clove and spice. It's very, very nice now, though couldn't be described as either a hefe or a wit! A very refreshing beer, and very interesting.

One of the most interesting things is that, though cloudy and yeasty before, this beer has now completely cleared! The yeast has formed a very tight and compact sediment at the bottom and is not remaining in suspension. Sound strange?

I should also say that used Maris Otter in this beer instead Pilsner which would change the flavour profile.

Quick Reply