Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safbrew T-58

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #81
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc103
I'm planning a partial mash rye beer with T-58.

1.045 OG
25 IBU
.59 BU:GU

4 lbs Briess Pilsen XL-DME
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Flaked Rye

1 oz Palisade @30
.5 oz Palisade @15
.5 oz Palisade @5

T-58 @ 64 until FG reached
Just an update that this beer was quite good. Yeast stalled for a couple days around 1.020, but finished below 1.010.

Very fruity, a little spicy, and not excessively "Belgiany."

A great summer beer, though next time I would go with Perle or Saaz for hopping.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #82
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Banana in that fruit @ 64?

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #83
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've used T-58 twice now on the same recipe. The spicy came through more pronounce at higher temps. The first time I used it I fermed at a steady 60F and I honestly can't say it was spicy or peppery in the least. Very pronounced banana/bubblegum though. The second time was in the summer and my basement was alway around 73F-75F and that brought out a peppery spicy flavor, but it seem to be drowned out by an even more pronounced banana/bubblegum flavor.

In any case I found them to be delicious because I enjoy that flavor. As I let them age a bit they mellowed out quite a bit. At around 5-6 month it was a very smooth balanced flavor and only the aroma was estery.

This is one of my favorite dry yeast for bigger beers. I'll probably use it for a hard cider this fall.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #84
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade
Banana in that fruit @ 64?
Not that I noticed.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #85
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisBrews View Post
I've used T-58 twice now on the same recipe. The spicy came through more pronounce at higher temps. The first time I used it I fermed at a steady 60F and I honestly can't say it was spicy or peppery in the least. Very pronounced banana/bubblegum though. The second time was in the summer and my basement was alway around 73F-75F and that brought out a peppery spicy flavor, but it seem to be drowned out by an even more pronounced banana/bubblegum flavor.

In any case I found them to be delicious because I enjoy that flavor. As I let them age a bit they mellowed out quite a bit. At around 5-6 month it was a very smooth balanced flavor and only the aroma was estery.

This is one of my favorite dry yeast for bigger beers. I'll probably use it for a hard cider this fall.
hmm, just used it and tasted after bottling. and i agree with the banana, which i definitely dont remember last time i used it. fermed high 60s, very low esters overall. still like this yeast btw, nice balanced feel

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #86
ItalianGuy78
Recipes 

Planning on using T-58 for a wheat ale that has 20% rye malt in the LME, about 1 oz of lavender and some Briess Dark HME. Using Mr. Beer, it's a 2 gallon batch of an Americanized dunkelweiss...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #87
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37OliveStBrews View Post
I just used this yeast in a recipe I made up and fermented at 67. Very light esters. I think you should be able to escape strong banana ester if you stay around that number.
Hey, I've got a beer with it going right now, this was my idea. It seems like those going on the low end get a neutral ale, and those on the high end get insane flavors. Very few people are reporting on the medium end. I have a temperature controller, I've keeping mine at around 67-68, I will bring it to room temp after one week, but it sounds like the yeast will be done before then. This is kind of a specialty recipe I slapped together, but I'll dry hop it and report on it later in the month:

Code:
5.5gal
5# GW 2Row
5# Weyerman Ger. Pils
0.5# Special B 155degL
.75 oz US Mag @ 60m
1 oz Spalt @ 13.5m (whoops)
1 oz Spalt @ FO 
Mash 152F
Ferment 67-68F
DOES NOT CONFORM TO ANY SPECIFIC STYLE

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #88
37OliveStBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds good. Mine turned out really well. I named it Not A Belgian. It was not mild by any means and was a nice mix between an American IPA and a Belgian ale.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #89
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37OliveStBrews View Post
Sounds good. Mine turned out really well. I named it Not A Belgian. It was not mild by any means and was a nice mix between an American IPA and a Belgian ale.
Hmm... well I'll just have to see how mine went. I'll use it again and changeup my ferm temps slightly to see which direction I'd like this yeast to produce it's notes. This yeast works quick; the krausen cleared up after about 48 hours. Insane.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #90
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Alright I've got an update on my brew... racked to secondary to rack on slurry, it stayed 68F or within a tolerance of .5F for five days. It worked quick, and hasn't really given a damn about clearing. Notes:

Very Belgian spicy, somewhat phenolic. Overall a very lasting Belgian impression!
Pepper note is very muted, but there. If I was judging this beer, I would note a faint blackpepper character.
Made the beer taste quite a bit like a wit without any additional spices at all! Very impressive!

I think I'll try this next at around 66 to try to drive off that pepper style. Racked a witbier onto the slurry today.

Quick Reply