The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safbrew S-23 Lager yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
morrowboarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah, not too shocked by the outcome of this. I don't think I will dry hop. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm thinking of infusing a small batch of mild-medium roast coffee extract. I work at a commercial coffee brewer manufacturer and know how to extract "the good stuff" out of coffee without hitting the point of bitterness. Large satellite brewers are known to brew this way to meet large volumes in a matter of minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Hey I know this thread is a few months old, but I'm curious as to how the beer turned out, if you've tried it yet. I've brewed a Marzen-style hybrid with s-23before and it was awesome, I've got my 2nd one in primary now. I'm also curious about the coffee addition, being a professional roaster myself. How would you extract the good stuff? I think the roasty flavor would go well with this style as long as ou didn't over-do it, I've ruined a stout by doing that

Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
morrowboarder
Recipes 

I guess I shouldn't say "good stuff", but rather the concentrated part of the brew that keeps out any bitterness. As you well know I'm sure, the first 30% of the brew is the strongest with the most solubles. Closer to the end of the brew cycle, you're adding slight bitterness to the batch. Anyway, I didn't infuse the batch with coffee, I added orange peel. It turned out not good. Very bland and had some taste of cardboard. I believe this was due to the fact my inexperienced friend who helped out was vigorously stirring the hot wort to cool it faster, which is a definite negative in the brewing process. I gave the whole batch to him.

Quick Reply