New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safale US-05 24hrs no signs yet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
spartan21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Default Safale US-05 24hrs no signs yet

Newbee question, I brewed an SNPA clone last night and pitched 1 packet of Safale US-05 directly on top of my wort as the directions stated on the packet. My pitch temp was 70*, my ferment temp cooled to and is holding steady at 68*. (primary temp not ambient) This is an extract brew using 7lbs of DME and 1 lbs of Crystal 60L. I am 24 hours in and see no signs of fermentation, no bubbling and peeking through the airlock grommet I can only see some foam on top, no change from when I pitched seemingly. I aerated prior to pitching, did not rehydrate or stir. Do I need to be concerned at this point or just wait it out another day or so? Expiration date on packet is 2015.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Give it time. It can take a couple days for a vigorous fermentation to show up.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

spartan21 Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'll bet it will start fermenting soon. 7lbs of DME will get the yeasts attention eventually.

Having said that. I've killed my share of yeast cells pitching too hot. If fermentation doesn't start by tomorrow, just pitch another packet of yeast. I've had to do that a couple of times. I usually don't cut corners, but where I do is wort temperature before pitching yeast. What I've started doing lately is to cool the wort as much as possible, then rack it into the fermenter. If it's above, or anywhere near 80 degrees, I put the air lock on and let it cool over night, then pitch my yeast.

Not sure if you've ever tried to re-hydrate your dry yeast? I did it on the last brew day. I just boiled water for 10-20 minutes, cooled it to about 80 degrees or so. put a small amount of water in a sanitized, clear measuring cup then sprinkled the yeast over the top of the water. Covered with sanitized aluminum foil. After 15 minutes, stired, then let set for another 15 minutes. The yeast really reacted and foamed up a good bit. I felt like I was pitching live yeast at that point. Didn't really have any doubt that the cells were alive at that point. Worked really well.

The two beers are still in primary so I'm not sure yet how well it went. I'm thinking pretty well, but I'll take a gravity reading when I pitch to secondary later this week.

I believe I'll always re-hydrate my dry yeast from this point.

BTW... Safeale 05 is really the only dry yeast I use.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Ditto; give it time. The foam you saw was the first sign of fermentation. You might have released any pressure buildup when you removed the airlock thus extending the time when you will see activity in the airlock. That is, if you don't have a leaky lid.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
BrewChem
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 38 Posts

Reeee-lax..! 05 has never failed me..!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
spartan21
Recipes 

thanks for the replies, I will recheck the seal on my lid and try to practice some patients. (truly is the hardest technique to learn as a newbee)

smcarter - I did rehydrate my first two batches and it kicked off within a day. Those were both Brewers Best Extract kits using the yeast that came with the kit. This is my 3rd batch, so far I have stuck with the instructions on packets.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
spartan21
Recipes 

Ok so I'm coming up on 60 hours and still no bubbles but I think there are signs that it is fermenting. The Star San solution level in the air lock (glass tube type) is pushed to the outer side indicating there is pressure behind it, been this way for about 24 hours or more. The room has a sweetish type odor, my daughter says it smells like sweet potatoes. I have to leave town for a few days so I plan to take a hydrometer reading on Sunday to see where it sits. Hopefully my SG will be close to the expected reading, my OG was 1.058. I can still see a heavy layer of foam on the top from what little I can see looking down through the stem of the airlock. As a noob my curiosity is high and patients is low. Think I may switch to a Better Bottle as a primary rather than my bucket so I can see what going on inside.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Was this a partial boil or full boil ? As in did you boil 3 gal and top off the rest with water?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
spartan21
Recipes 

This was a partial boil, 3 gallons boiled then topped off in the primary.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
psubrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Us05 is always a slow starter for me. Usually 36 hrs before it gets going.

Also, I get this foamy krausen that hangs around for a few days after I hit fg. It usually settles out around day 10.

Quick Reply